Legit site?

ersatz0906

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so all your saying shopping online may or may not be safe? when you go online shopping what are the things you should look on that site so that you will know if its legit?

Squintz

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RoBear Racing said:
I suggest you get a day job, because our site is "thawte" secure and we run a dedicated server w/ our host.. We also have 3rd party verification from "Geotrust". So what make syou think we are "evil" or not legit?

I should get a day job? On this example, you are asking for quite a bit of personal information. There is no lock in the lower right corner, there is no https:// in the address bar. The only reason I didn't go further is because I would rather not fill out your insecure bullshit, but I'm willing to guess that the credit card request isn't secure either, since your site should be secure from the shopping cart forward, as information is temporarily cached in a shopping cart.

You may have a thawte certificate and a geotrust certificate (which I don't know why you would, as they both can't be installed), though they are not implemented on your site. You may be legit, you may not have ever ripped a customer off in your life, however, you are claiming your site is secure, when it is not. Dedicated server means jack s**t. Dedicated means even less stuff that a hacker has to look through to find the valuable information, since there is only one site on the machine.

Learn what the f**k you are talking about before you try to mislead customers.

Last edited:

Squintz

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ersatz0906 said:
so all your saying shopping online may or may not be safe? when you go online shopping what are the things you should look on that site so that you will know if its legit?
Shopping online is very safe. Just make sure you see the lock and https:// before you enter information. Like I said, these two companies could be extremely honest and out completely for the customer. Their sites, however, are not secure, meaning you might be doing business with someone other than just them. Someone could easily intercept the transaction of AT LEAST your home contact information/credit card holders info. I say "at least" because I didn't check out where it actually asks for credit card information, but stopped at enter shopper information, which should be secure as well. You may say "Who cares if someone knows where I live?" Heres a very common example.

Hacker calls you up...
"Hey Jimbo Bob, this is so and so from VISA. I noticed you placed an order on www.whatever.com today. To make sure this isn't fraudulent, I just want to verify some information with you. Are you still living at 123 Fake street? is your number still 555-5555? Okay, now to make sure I am actually talking to you, and you actually have the card in front of you, could you read off the numbers please? Wonderful. I will go ahead and mark this purchase as non-fraudulent. please give us a call if you need anything else."

Done. Game over.

I would recommend looking for https:// in the address bar and also looking for a lock in the bottom right of your browser. If you want more information on how to check to make sure a site is secure with a valid certificate, goto verisign.com, thawte.com, starfieldtech.com, geotrust.com, etc.