Lend me your turbo expertise!

AcousticAudio

Built LSVTEC .63 a/r stg3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome lol. So here is my list of turbo bits and pieces I have looked at and decided I will be getting:

RC 750cc injectors
Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods @ 9.0:1 compression
Walbro 120 psi fuel pump
Hondata S300 ecu
F1 Stage 4 clutch kit
And of course the turbo kit that I linked to in the first post. All of this including the kit comes to almost exactly 4000$

Is there anything I've left out? Will this be sufficient for a reliable boosted setup for around 10-13psi?

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good luck man play your cards right and you'll be fine ! unlike my friend he got that same turbo kit slaped on his 00SI 3weeks later rod started Knoking hard! why ? b/c he didnt tune now he's saying he wants to go allmotor b/c boost kills your car BS not tuning kills your car

AcousticAudio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I'm for suure getting a tune like thats not even a question. You cant just slap different parts onto something and expect it to run the same as it did before. Especially when you're adding as many parts as you are with a project like this.. almost everything is different.

dc5kid

OH s**t!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your tryin to get 13psi you gunna need a 3 bar map sensor....

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome lol. So here is my list of turbo bits and pieces I have looked at and decided I will be getting:

RC 750cc injectors
Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods @ 9.0:1 compression
Walbro 120 psi fuel pump
Hondata S300 ecu
F1 Stage 4 clutch kit
And of course the turbo kit that I linked to in the first post. All of this including the kit comes to almost exactly 4000$

Is there anything I've left out? Will this be sufficient for a reliable boosted setup for around 10-13psi?
Do you know what type of turbo you are planning on running?

AcousticAudio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe the kit comes with a t3/t4 turbo. What exactly is a map sensor and where does it go? I just quickly searched it on ebay and it seems they are pretty inexpensive for one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/civic-integra-aem-3-5-bar-5-bar-map-sensor-adapter_W0QQitemZ280201879004QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33557QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also i made a mistake in that list, the walbro pump im looking at is 255lph not 120 psi.. i dont know what i was thinking. Has anyone tried out those blockguard/sleevesaver things? anyone know if they work at all or is it just a gimmick? I'm a little concerned for the sleeves if i run more then 11 psi.

dc5kid

OH s**t!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe the kit comes with a t3/t4 turbo. What exactly is a map sensor and where does it go? I just quickly searched it on ebay and it seems they are pretty inexpensive for one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/civic-integra-aem-3-5-bar-5-bar-map-sensor-adapter_W0QQitemZ280201879004QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
that auction only includes the adapter plate lol

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MIA-SNS-004&Category_Code=SNS

clover ej6

i r mekanik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Is this going to be a daily driver? If so, i wouldn't use the stage 4 clutch kit. I've heard horror stories of them failing because of everyday use, but that's just me. Oh and I think 750cc injectors might be overkill, but then again, that's just my opinion.

ryanM

under $3000 for a built, boosted, B18cR....not happening, not in a million years.

your going to spend more than that on the swap...

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Is this going to be a daily driver? If so, i wouldn't use the stage 4 clutch kit. I've heard horror stories of them failing because of everyday use, but that's just me. Oh and I think 750cc injectors might be overkill, but then again, that's just my opinion.
I'm running 750cc RC injectors DD and havn't had any problems thus far. They were recommended by my tuner.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont mean to be an ass, but do you NEED a type r? or even a b18c?? You can get around 300hp from a stock b18b if your wanting to boost.

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont mean to be an ass, but do you NEED a type r? or even a b18c?? You can get around 300hp from a stock b18b if your wanting to boost.
Especially if your gonna go forged. There is really no need for VTEC with boost. Plus you'll save a crapload of money in the end, and the LS transmissions are great for boost.

AcousticAudio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
under $3000 for a built, boosted, B18cR....not happening, not in a million years.

your going to spend more than that on the swap...
Here are the things that would have happened if you read the thread:
First off, you would see that when I said 3000 I meant 3000 on JUST the turbo setup, not including the swap.
Secondly, you would see that Neoc03 has already kindly pointed me away from the type r (on the very first page), and has me looking at a regular GSR which I'll still change the compression in anyway.
Thirdly, you would see that I already made a list of parts that already total 4000$ just for the turbo set up.
And Lastly, you wouldn't have assumed I'm just another idiot with a civic, which I don't appreciate..
Thanks anyway though

I will look into a B18b simply because someone suggested it, and neoc03 has been giving me some really good advice on this topic so far. Plus I really believe that if I do my research now I'll be alot happier in the long run. And actually I just quickly looked it up and it looks like the specs on a b18b are alot more ideal for boosting anyway, since it comes with 9.2:1 compression to begin with. The only reason I wanted to go with a b18c was to start off with that higher horsepower to give me a bit of a jump start towards my goal.

SO just to clarify, you guys would all recommend:
B18b1 swap
RC 750cc injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Hondata S300 ecu
3 bar map sensor
F1 Stage 4 clutch kit (I don't see how it could fail from daily use btw..it gets used the same way regardless of when you drive it.. what was the reason for its failing?)
that gimmicky block guard/sleeve saver
Would it still be necessary to change the pistons/rods to Wiseco pistons and Eagle rods @ 9.0:1 compression simply to go forged?
turbonetics t3/t4 treadstone turbo kit that I linked to in the first post.

My concern is that when I get to 300whp, that will be the maximum the b18b has to give. Does the b18b have enough potential to keep up if I decide to keep going? I realize it would be amazingly expensive to get any higher then 300whp, but still. And all b-series parts like intake manifolds and headers etc are compatible with each other right?

What advantages/disadvantages are there to not having vtec with a boosted setup? As far as I know vtec changes to another cam at higher rpms in order to change your valve timing to let more air in, and juice some extra efficiency out of the engine, isn't that a good thing regardless of boost? Or are you just saying ditch it, because with the turbo setup I really wont need this extra efficiency and I'll save a bunch of cash on a non vtec engine anyway?

Sorry I have so many questions, but like I said I want to do my research so that I'm not rushing myself into mistakes when the time comes.

edit: I looked up some pricing for a b18b1 swap ( 94 +) and its actually very cheap. like 2000$ shipped. So that sounds like a viable option..

AcousticAudio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm really liking the idea of this b18b1. I can always swap to a vtec head later, once I've got it boosted and all that, if I find the need. This is my COMPLETE list of everything I'll be buying for the motor.

B18b1 swap with LSD
F1 stage 4 clutch
Short shifter
I left myself a 500$ allowance for exhaust, I'm not sure which one yet
RC 750cc injectors
Walbro 255 lph pump
AEM fuel rail
Hondata s300 chip
Skunk2 intake manifold
Ram style turbo manifold
3 bar map sensor
Turbonetics t3/t4 turbo kit with treadstone goodies
I've left a bit of cash for a disc conversion on the rear

some other stuff I might throw in:
skunk 2 rear lca's
skunk2 pro cam gears

Thats everything I have on the list. I have left out the pistons/rods. Do you think the stock internals will be ok if I decide to go for above 12 psi? Assuming I get a good tune of course.

Another question I had was can I still use a p28 ecu for this motor? Or will it not work because its off of a vtec engine? I ask because I'm not sure what ecu's the S300 chip is compatible with.

blkej7

hungry for boost
sounds good but i would rather a boosted gsr. boost+vtec= =) either way is a great daily driver