Let's discuss gullible moderators

RonJ

Banned
Cliffs Notes:

Obvious troll dislikes certain member's posts so she goes on humorous rampage of direct insults in an Off Topic thread.

The resulting posts from this troll are joyfully humorous and also entirely inconsequential because this is just a mindless interwebs Off Topic forum, similar to many others.

Miss Troll gets frustrated, however, because her tirade is not adequately ruffling feathers so then she resorts to the final maneuver of many trolls by creating the "I'm now going to blow my brains out" thread.

Moderators (save one) naively fall for this classic troll maneuver and go into rescue mode.

Troll reads naive moderator responses and celebrates with a bottle of champagne.

Smart troll and gullible moderators share the joy of their success.

Troll moves on to next rodeo.

Last edited:

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
I just think the ninja post editing is lame

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well all I gotta say is....

Who is cliff and why is he taking notes?

EDIT: I can already tell this is another one of those "let's just start some action on CC" threads, so I'm game.

Last edited:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's not about being gullible. It's about risk management. Yes, it probably was just a troll / ploy to get attention. However, it wouldn't be the first time someone went on an internet forum, had their intentions misunderstood, and subsequently ended their lives as it was a last desperate cry for help. No, that is almost certainly not what is happening here, but yes, it is possible. I would rather be compassionate with the opportunity to help save a life and a downside of being duped than to be an a*****e and push somebody toward their deathbed with the opportunity to save face.

As far as post edits, I don't stand behind any "ninja post editing." Please send me a PM if this is a legitimate concern and I will look into it further.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's not about being gullible. It's about risk management. Yes, it probably was just a troll / ploy to get attention. However, it wouldn't be the first time someone went on an internet forum, had their intentions misunderstood, and subsequently ended their lives as it was a last desperate cry for help. No, that is almost certainly not what is happening here, but yes, it is possible. I would rather be compassionate with the opportunity to help save a life and a downside of being duped than to be an a*****e and push somebody towards their deathbed with the opportunity to save face.

As far as post edits, I don't stand behind any "ninja post editing." Please send me a PM if this is a legitimate concern and I will look into it further.
Agreed! It's not a matter of being gullible or not.

Also, I did ninja edit a thread title, in which suicide troll called RonJ an a*****e. I changed it to "coolest guy ever", but if I have to change it back...... :lol:

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
nah the title edit in that thread was legit funny.

i've just seen a lot of post deletion and edits on here, which is pretty disappointing and is really questioning of integrity. i'd at least hope there would be a log for these edits on the mod side.

as far as the threat drama, i would think the liability of offering help is pretty risky. most forums will just close the thread as they usually do not have the training to handle suicidal people and would rather not have that liability and responsibility on the forumd/mods.

although i'm pretty sure we are in the clear because: motakitty Last Activity: Today 09:36 AM

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!!!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not about being gullible. It's about risk management. Yes, it probably was just a troll / ploy to get attention. However, it wouldn't be the first time someone went on an internet forum, had their intentions misunderstood, and subsequently ended their lives as it was a last desperate cry for help. No, that is almost certainly not what is happening here, but yes, it is possible. I would rather be compassionate with the opportunity to help save a life and a downside of being duped than to be an a*****e and push somebody toward their deathbed with the opportunity to save face.

^^this. X1000.

RonJ

Banned
Just curious about your track record in this^ regard.

How many saved lives can you attribute to your compassionate approach to internet trolls?

Conversely, how many inadvertent innocent bystander deaths can you attribute to words you typed into internet forum posts?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There has been (that we know of) no edits outside of combining multiposts because people cant figure out how to multiquote or moving threads from one forum to the correct one. Outside of Shaun changing the thread title lately or trolling posts removed (which are against the rules and should be dealt with using infractions but we never hand them out because we are very lenient).

Yes every thread and change is logged. Of course it is, this is the internet. Everything is watched and documented.

If you have a problem point it out to one of the staff directly instead of throwing generalized accusasions without proof. We cant help and maintain the staff if we dont see it or have direction to it. Like I said, everything is documented, but just like threads on here asking for help, no one can do a thing if they dont have the details neccessary to carry out the troubleshooting proceedures.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Cary you spelt my name wrong. I'd go edit it myself, but Ronnie might create another thread about it if he found out. :lol:

In all seriousness though, even though we may not know the "proper" way to handle stuff such as a suicide note, does not me we should lock the thread and ignore it. On the very off change it's legit (it hasn't happened here, but it HAS happened on other forums), it's still better to reply in a serious manner.

Go google how to deal with a suicide threat online, and nowhere will you find "ignore it". It's a simple precaution. Nothing more, nothing less.

RonJ

Banned
EDIT: I can already tell this is another one of those "let's just start some action on CC" threads, so I'm game.
Xplode's best attribute is that he serves as a useful barometer. If something I post makes him butthurt, then I know I'm doing it right.

Also, I did ninja edit a thread title, in which suicide troll called RonJ an a*****e. I changed it to "coolest guy ever", but if I have to change it back...... :lol:
Haha. Xplode is so "post edit" loopy that he is completely unaware of the fact that I am perfectly content with the troll's original thread title, so please undo the title edit. It was so inconsequential. Again, when trolls and Xplode are butthurt by my posts, I know I'm doing it right.

And of course it makes no sense for gullible moderators to ban the troll and delete her suicide thread because that would take away her merit badge.

RonJ

Banned
i would think the liability of offering help is pretty risky. most forums will just close the thread as they usually do not have the training to handle suicidal people and would rather not have that liability and responsibility on the forumd/mods.
Not for the gullible superhero moderators of CC!!!!!!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Xplode's best attribute is that he serves as a useful barometer. If something I post makes him butthurt, then I know I'm doing it right.
You're right. I am a good at measuring atmospheric pressure. You mustn't be doing anything right yet though, as my butt still feels fine.

RonJ said:
Haha. Xplode is so "post edit" loopy that he is completely unaware of the fact that I am perfectly content with the troll's original thread title, so please undo the title edit. It was so inconsequential. Again, when trolls and Xplode are butthurt by my posts, I know I'm doing it right.
No way, Jose. Thread title is staying as is. You're officially the coolest guy on CC. And remember, I don't believe in sarcasm.

Ron said:
And of course it makes no sense for gullible moderators to ban the troll and delete her suicide thread because that would take away her merit badge.
That's exactly why we keep your posts around too. So it makes sense you knew the reason why! :thumbs up

RonJ

Banned
Outside of sean changing the thread title lately or trolling posts removed (which are against the rules and should be dealt with using infractions but we never hand them out because we are very lenient).
(let me precede my comment below by saying that I think you are the only active moderator doing it right. You and you alone have the wherewithal to understand what tech forums are all about. I appreciate it.)

But if we step out of the tech forums into the realm of off topic, "trolling" is what it's all about. If you lock, delete, or edit all trolling posts, then this forum would be more of a ghost town than it already is.

RonJ

Banned
You're right. I am a good at measuring atmospheric pressure. You mustn't be doing anything right yet though, as my butt still feels fine...No way, Jose. Thread title is staying as is. You're officially the coolest guy on CC. And remember, I don't believe in sarcasm...That's exactly why we keep your posts around too. So it makes sense you knew the reason why! :thumbs up
All 12 year olds reading the forum thought these classic Xplode quips were the bee's knees.

The fact that you offer so little makes you irrelevant.

RonJ

Banned
Go google how to deal with a suicide threat online, and nowhere will you find "ignore it". It's a simple precaution. Nothing more, nothing less.
I did. Here are the first instructions:

report a suicide threat immediately to the appropriate authorities to keep the suicidal person safe and get him the help he needs to survive the situation.
So why not delete the thread to remove it from the public forum and then initiate attempts to get her identity and location using the PM feature. Instead, our pack of self congratulatory CC moderators engage in a public discussion of a suicidal troll in a locked public thread. Brilliant!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
All 12 year olds reading the forum thought these classic Xplode quips were the bee's knees.

The fact that you offer so little makes you irrelevant.
SHOTS FIRED!

And bees don't have knees, who are you kidding?

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Yes every thread and change is logged. Of course it is, this is the internet. Everything is watched and documented.
Post deletions can easily happen leaving no trace of the original content, especially in vbulletin. jus' sayin

RonJ

Banned
Post deletions can easily happen leaving no trace of the original content, especially in vbulletin. jus' sayin
Correct. The software allows for both hard and soft deletions. Hard deletion = gone.

The hard deletion option can be disabled for mods/global mods and retained by admins.