Lets Hear Your Input

Armando C.

THIS IS NOT A "WHICH IS BETTER" THREAD, JUST A "WHAT WOULD YOU DO" THREAD

The time has finally come, and i have plenty of money saved for a clean swap. The thing is, i have no clue on what i want to do? It all started when I saw this 90' Accord dropping some girl off at my school. He saw my hatch (which was honestly just my first car, I had no idea what "swaps" were) and he was telling me about his H22. I had no idea what in the world he was talking about, but he assumed I did, so as anyone in that situation would do, I played along like I understood everything he was saying.

So after literally over a year and a half of researching, learning and starting my hatch project (from suspension to engine), I've gathered enough funds to start considering actually swapping the motor. I just finished with all my suspension upgrades, and I've still yet to decide which engine is best for my needs. I'm 18, and all my friends with civic are broke as **** so they all just plan on putting some cheap ebay turbo and boosting the D.

So my question? What would you guys swap in.

I've sort of narrowed my options. I'm pretty set on a B series (not the C5, it'll be my daily, and honestly not only do i not want to run up miles on a type R, but i could manage to put out similar power with some bolt ons and cams)

I've also considered an H22, but the ground clearance has really got me worried since im already lowered and plan on dropping it another inch. I Don't want something to complicated since this is my first swap and i will be trying it myself and with my friends.

for an EK hatch, daily driver, will never see the track, all motor and no plans on ever running FI, and probably no lsv or b20v down the road either (i don't want to have to deal with reliability, plain and simple, to each their own). this car will see many miles of commute, but i want a fun daily. would you go with the Torquless wonder B16, Torque monster B20, or the happy median LS swap

i do not want to consider any b18c as of now since those are usually about an extra grand and i would be satisfied (more than actually) with any of the three above.

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT A WHICH IS BETTER THREAD, JUST WANNA KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS WOULD AND WHY!!!!!!!

Armando C.

This car will also see a TON of commute and miles on it, if that changes anything.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would do an ls swap. They can usually be found pretty cheap and easily on your local Craigslist. Easier, more straightforward swap, and like you said, a good in between on torque and overall power. Plus they're reliable.

Sounds like a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would get a GSR. it is more money but you get more power and with a proper tune can get better mileage in some cases. and for swapping all i can say is go look at everything that holds your engine in. try and leave as much on engine when pulling it since you can access it easier when its out. b series is your best best since it will drop in with no mods and isnt a weight or height problem causer

Trekk

Registered VIP
Something wrong with the stock motor? It doesn't sound like your going to do anything but drive it in traffic. Keep the money and do something else with with it.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Something wrong with the stock motor? It doesn't sound like your going to do anything but drive it in traffic. Keep the money and do something else with with it.
^ This... or you could just use the money to boost the D, have more fun than a stock B, get the same gas mileage (if you have an awesome tuner near you), and have money left over; but that's just my opinion.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ Sohc soldier so im with this man
boost the d series you will be fine up to around 200hp without building it
and as long as you dont cheap out on the turbo setup and its installed and tuned properly it will be just as reliable as a swapped in b series.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I say LS swap + boost haha

CO671

Registered VIP
So you want to stay low, but have some power and not something too complicated?
Stock LS and Turbo
Put your D-series aside and over time, rebuild it for Vitara boost 250hp+

Or just simply (reliably) turbo your D up to 200hp and get it tuned right. But I think a Stock LS and minor turbo would be better because you'll have a backup D-series sitting in your garage if anything breaks.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I say gsr. Spend the extra and you wont be disappointed

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I say b16 that is just me cheap reliable and will surprise the s*** out of you. o yeah it came stock in the si coupe so parts are not a memory cluster off this year integra and bla bla bla

Armando C.

Thanks you guys for all the replies, and yes, it will be mainly a traffic driver, but i want a little fun (thats why i kind of stopped considering an h and k swap),

i thought about boosting the D, but i really don't want to have to deal with any of the boosting issues that might tag along.

I'm not to familiar with tuning, as i was just going to and obd2 to obd2 swap and call it done.

My mind usually goes back and forth from a b16, just so i can keep the same stock feel and have some high rev power when i wanna "show off", LS because, well, its a solid and cheap swap, GSR (pricier, but more overall power and good reliability), and finally, sometimes a b20, i love the torque, and since i wont be boosting for b20vtec it'll still be fairly reliable.

i could always boost the D, but i haven't familiarized myself with too much info on boosting.

I'm not looking for insane amounts of power (honestly, in the long run,after building and everything, even140 whp would be way more than enough for this car)

ive only driven a b16 and a stock usdm b20b, so those are the only two i can understand and have a feel for. (none of my friends can cough up the money to toy around with their cars)

again, thanks for the responds =)