Lexan Glass

v8eaterbeater

Banned
i don't know if this is the right section to put this, but its for a 93 hatch. anyways i am getting lexan back two windows and the hatch window done, will it make any diference, in weight. i work at a door and window fctory and they have diffrent thickness lexan, if i make the patterens they will cut it and they will take the stock windows and mold it to the right shape. wont have to spend lots of money. i am wondering if i re place the front two and just have them roll up like the stock ones if that will work.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not sure about the weight...but i just ordered lexan for my back 2 windows (not the hatch, yet) should be here in a few days...i can let you know how heavy they are when they arrive :what: im pretty sure they are lighter though, just not sure by how much

v8eaterbeater

Banned
i lifed a 8x10 sheet 1/8 think and it was light as f*** so im figuring it will do some diffrence but if you can weigh the stock glass and the the lexan and tell e the difrence man, thanks.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, if we can get hold of a decent scale, ill let you know :thumbs up

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ltrain said:
are they more shatter resistant?
yes. and they are not street legal because of it.

if im not mistaken, the two rear hatch windows weigh ~40lbs combined.

ventturei26

Capt. Fuse
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i bleivve california law allows u to replace all the windows except the front windsheild with plaexi or other types of glass, something i heard from one of my audio comp friends

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Inigo Montoya said:
if im not mistaken, the two rear hatch windows weigh ~40lbs combined.
the lexan's weight that much, or the original glass? mine should be in by monday or tuesday....hopefully

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
windows are heavy as s**t. I was thinking about lexan at one point but got turned of because its illegal.

Inigo Montoya

powered by boost
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rand0m said:
the lexan's weight that much, or the original glass? mine should be in by monday or tuesday....hopefully
the stock glass. Imma be removing mine (maybe today) so I'll let ya' know.

Lexan, if thick enough, is bulletbroof. However, unlike normal glass, it shatters (whereas stock glass cracks and stays one piece [sortof])

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Inigo Montoya said:
the stock glass. Imma be removing mine (maybe today) so I'll let ya' know.

Lexan, if thick enough, is bulletbroof. However, unlike normal glass, it shatters (whereas stock glass cracks and stays one piece [sortof])
What?!?! Last time I checked, normal glass shatters, I think you got it switched around there...

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
KScivic said:
What?!?! Last time I checked, normal glass shatters, I think you got it switched around there...
safety glass on cars breaks/shatters into tiny marble sized pieces. if lexan shattered it would be big jagged pieces like a house window or mirror or something

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Rand0m said:
i just ordered lexan for my back 2 windows (not the hatch, yet) h
so wtf is the lexan going in?

KScivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wannabeEK9 said:
safety glass on cars breaks/shatters into tiny marble sized pieces. if lexan shattered it would be big jagged pieces like a house window or mirror or something
Ok, I can't say anything for lexan, but sure as s**t glass shatters...

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
KScivic said:
Ok, I can't say anything for lexan, but sure as s**t glass shatters...

its the fact that glass can have a UV protector and i dont think lexan could

Inigo Montoya