Life Expectancy of 1998 Honda Civic LX

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
My basic question is "How many miles can my 1998 Honda Civic LX go as it was designed by the manufacturer?"

Can it go 250K miles, 300K miles? Does anyone know of a Honda Civic hitting 250 or 300K miles?

I understand that there has to be basic repair and maintenance, but what repair will come up to cost so much that it will not be worth fixing the car?

Transmission? Engine? What is the expected life of the transmission and engine?

Those are the only 2 things that I can think of that would come up to cost sooo much money that I would not want to repair the vehicle.

Thanks for everyone's input.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you take care of all the maintenace the car will take care of you for years to come

p.s. just to give you an idea when i did my swap my odometer reads 325,000 or so miles and that's with the original motor and tranny minus a new clutch when i was around 150,000 or so miles

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
P.S. D-series motors and transmissions are cheap. You can pick up a motor for ~$400 and a tranny for ~300 without too many miles on them. So even if you throw a rod you'll be ok.

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I saw a 96 on craigslist once with 940,000 once...I think honda bought it

Manderson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from my limited experience with honda's i think 250k is very obtainable. my little d series is pushing 220k now and runs great. Had to put new bearings in the trans about 214k (didnt fail, just a little noisy). like woopnip said, everything is cheap to fix on em.

WalkingComplex

Stock As All Hell
Registered VIP
hondas are like legos, easy to take apart and put together. my 95 coupe is about to hit 200k, and its still got orig motor and tranny. runs great still.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you take good care of it... it will last forever!!!!

mahalo

formerly egninesallday
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i saw a 93 lx a while ago with 350k and my buddy had a 95 lx with 280k. you just have to take care of it

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the body on my civic has 330k, and my engine has 270k, and the tranny has 330k as well (original). all works perfect still.. considering its had proper honda maintenance up until i bought it.. then its all me and i take care of it like nothing else

nickenumbers

5+ Year Member
Thanks everyone for the input. I have about 150K miles right now. Going for 200K, then 250K then 300K miles!!