1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Lightweight Flywheel + Boost?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by whtcivic93, Jan 2, 2007.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. whtcivic93

whtcivic93 www.mm-graphics.net Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Hey guys im planning on getting a new flywheel and clutch combo as long as im replacing my transmission. I have heard mixed opinions on light flywheels compared to OE weight used with a boosted engine.
    Ive heard that the heavier flywheel would keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts, but i have no idea what to think and dont want to buy somthing that will effect performance... help :lol:

2. Steven.

Steven. Formally Green 91 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

11lb one will probaly be best

3. ryanM

ryanM Banned

ive heard light weight flywheels are pointless on boosted cars. my buddy got one for his turbo 01 eclipse GT and didnt notice a difference at all..

4. Steven.

Steven. Formally Green 91 Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

8lb flywheels are useless

5. civiclxb16a

civiclxb16a New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i agree you need to worry more about the clutch then the flywheel! =)

6. whtcivic93

well im gettin a CM stg 3 here shortly, but the only fidanza flywheel i can find for my D series is 7lbs, as long as it wont take any performance away from a boosted engine ill get it anyway....

Green91, happen to know where i can find the 11lb?
    Or if anyone else knows a good name at a decent price like fidanza, help me out with some links

7. can87

can87 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

OE flywheels can handle more tq compared to lightened ones, that's what I heard.

8. Steven.

9. whtcivic93

this sucks, i dont have time to get my OE resurfaced to mate to the new clutch during the week due to work... and the machine shop is closed on the weekend. i guess i should just make time and go during lunch and save myself some money instead of buying a new one... decisions, decisions.

10. Steven.

ive never read that:???:

11. stealthy

stealthy 4 Doors For More Whores Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

im boosting with a 7.5lb flywheel :what:

theres ups and downs to both heavier and lighter flywheels, this is what i chose.

12. whtcivic93

Elaborate on that a little for me, ive heard your engine wont hold rpms as well with a light flywheel when going up a steep incline. Do you notice/ or have any problems going uphill or anything?

13. AliasNeo

AliasNeo New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i got the fidanza 7 lbs one and i can get up hills just fine, usually have to downshift to third or second depending on steepness.. also launching is a little bit different due to the less stored rotational energy so the engine needs to be revved a little higher to get going. i did notice a difference in how the engine holds the rpms. with the stock 18lbs one it would hold much much longer then with the 7 lbs one.

if i had a choice though, i probably would go with an 11-14 lbs one next

14. stealthy

stealthy 4 Doors For More Whores Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

first let me clear up that i just rebuilt my gsr, so im currently breaking it in n/a. anyhow, i bought the flywheel with full knowledge that boost was in the near future, this was my intention. so far, i love it. it revs FAST. it takes a little getting used to, but not even as hard as it was launching the first time you drive a manual. rpms do infact drop a little quicker between shiftes, however you make them up. heavier flywheels wont drop as much, but it takes more to get them going again. so, the way i see it, its 6 of one, a half dozen of another. i wouldnt trade my 7.5llb for anything else, boost or not. and i HAVE driven a 450whp boosted h22 with a 7.5lb as well.

also, a lighter flywheel helps put more power to the ground. personally, i say upgrade your clutch and flywheel as first mods instead of the ever so popular i/h/e bc you actually make more power with a clutch/flywheel. not actually making more power, but releasing power already within, and alot more than the small gains of a i/h/e

15. 12.8:1 Ls/vtec

12.8:1 Ls/vtec IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Only if you have a D series

16. AliasNeo

AliasNeo New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

you dont make power from this upgrade.. it frees up energy that was otherwise lost turning the more massive stock flywheel. so energy not lost through the flywheel via the lightened one can be used somewhere else. so yeah you can put more of the engines power to the ground.

17. stealthy

miss this part?

18. ryan89crx

ryan89crx Spoolin single cam! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

if you are going with boost, stay with an 11lb and up flywheel

too light of a flywheel combined with a decent sized turbo will cause you to fall out of boost between shifts due to the loss of rotational mass

19. 95civicvx

95civicvx New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

This thread is so funny to me. With a lightened flywheel you'll notice your rev faster in all gears. But the lighter you go the harder it is to keep your car from bucking at low speeds. the few disadvantages of having a lightened flywheel are out weighed by the advantages if getting your flywheel lightened is what you wanna do. Your motor will rev faster the lighter you go, as will your acceleration increase the lighter you go. If your not serious about having a light ass flywheel, just get 3or 4 lbs shaved off. I had 300zxT 85' that had a 22 lb flywheel shaved to 15.5 thats minus 7.5 lbs and i sure noticed a huge differance expecially with the higher boost settings i was running. I woulda daily driver a car with anything more then 8 lbs less the original weight of the flywheel.
    Forgive my coherancy for it is late at night, and im tired.

20. 91SiVTEC

91SiVTEC New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

i got a 8lb flywheel...its a tiny bit quicker...

its like almost impossible to drive in the snow though!

you will be like crawling for a while...even in second..like damn

maybe i need new tires!

im going ta sleep!