Lightweight Flywheel + Boost?

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Hey guys im planning on getting a new flywheel and clutch combo as long as im replacing my transmission. I have heard mixed opinions on light flywheels compared to OE weight used with a boosted engine.
Ive heard that the heavier flywheel would keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts, but i have no idea what to think and dont want to buy somthing that will effect performance... help :lol:

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
11lb one will probaly be best

ryanM

ive heard light weight flywheels are pointless on boosted cars. my buddy got one for his turbo 01 eclipse GT and didnt notice a difference at all..

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
8lb flywheels are useless

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
well im gettin a CM stg 3 here shortly, but the only fidanza flywheel i can find for my D series is 7lbs, as long as it wont take any performance away from a boosted engine ill get it anyway....

Green91, happen to know where i can find the 11lb?
Or if anyone else knows a good name at a decent price like fidanza, help me out with some links

can87

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OE flywheels can handle more tq compared to lightened ones, that's what I heard.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
this sucks, i dont have time to get my OE resurfaced to mate to the new clutch during the week due to work... and the machine shop is closed on the weekend. i guess i should just make time and go during lunch and save myself some money instead of buying a new one... decisions, decisions.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can87 said:
OE flywheels can handle more tq compared to lightened ones, that's what I heard.
ive never read that:???:

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im boosting with a 7.5lb flywheel :what:

theres ups and downs to both heavier and lighter flywheels, this is what i chose.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
stealthy said:
im boosting with a 7.5lb flywheel :what:

theres ups and downs to both heavier and lighter flywheels, this is what i chose.
Elaborate on that a little for me, ive heard your engine wont hold rpms as well with a light flywheel when going up a steep incline. Do you notice/ or have any problems going uphill or anything?

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got the fidanza 7 lbs one and i can get up hills just fine, usually have to downshift to third or second depending on steepness.. also launching is a little bit different due to the less stored rotational energy so the engine needs to be revved a little higher to get going. i did notice a difference in how the engine holds the rpms. with the stock 18lbs one it would hold much much longer then with the 7 lbs one.

if i had a choice though, i probably would go with an 11-14 lbs one next

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whtcivic93 said:
Elaborate on that a little for me, ive heard your engine wont hold rpms as well with a light flywheel when going up a steep incline. Do you notice/ or have any problems going uphill or anything?
first let me clear up that i just rebuilt my gsr, so im currently breaking it in n/a. anyhow, i bought the flywheel with full knowledge that boost was in the near future, this was my intention. so far, i love it. it revs FAST. it takes a little getting used to, but not even as hard as it was launching the first time you drive a manual. rpms do infact drop a little quicker between shiftes, however you make them up. heavier flywheels wont drop as much, but it takes more to get them going again. so, the way i see it, its 6 of one, a half dozen of another. i wouldnt trade my 7.5llb for anything else, boost or not. and i HAVE driven a 450whp boosted h22 with a 7.5lb as well.

also, a lighter flywheel helps put more power to the ground. personally, i say upgrade your clutch and flywheel as first mods instead of the ever so popular i/h/e bc you actually make more power with a clutch/flywheel. not actually making more power, but releasing power already within, and alot more than the small gains of a i/h/e

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also, a lighter flywheel helps put more power to the ground. personally, i say upgrade your clutch and flywheel as first mods instead of the ever so popular i/h/e bc you actually make more power with a clutch/flywheel. not actually making more power, but releasing power already within, and alot more than the small gains of a i/h/e
you dont make power from this upgrade.. it frees up energy that was otherwise lost turning the more massive stock flywheel. so energy not lost through the flywheel via the lightened one can be used somewhere else. so yeah you can put more of the engines power to the ground.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
you dont make power from this upgrade.. it frees up energy that was otherwise lost turning the more massive stock flywheel. so energy not lost through the flywheel via the lightened one can be used somewhere else. so yeah you can put more of the engines power to the ground.
miss this part?

stealthy said:

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you are going with boost, stay with an 11lb and up flywheel

too light of a flywheel combined with a decent sized turbo will cause you to fall out of boost between shifts due to the loss of rotational mass

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This thread is so funny to me. With a lightened flywheel you'll notice your rev faster in all gears. But the lighter you go the harder it is to keep your car from bucking at low speeds. the few disadvantages of having a lightened flywheel are out weighed by the advantages if getting your flywheel lightened is what you wanna do. Your motor will rev faster the lighter you go, as will your acceleration increase the lighter you go. If your not serious about having a light ass flywheel, just get 3or 4 lbs shaved off. I had 300zxT 85' that had a 22 lb flywheel shaved to 15.5 thats minus 7.5 lbs and i sure noticed a huge differance expecially with the higher boost settings i was running. I woulda daily driver a car with anything more then 8 lbs less the original weight of the flywheel.
Forgive my coherancy for it is late at night, and im tired.

91SiVTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a 8lb flywheel...its a tiny bit quicker...

its like almost impossible to drive in the snow though!

you will be like crawling for a while...even in second..like damn

maybe i need new tires!

im going ta sleep!