Lip/Skirts Paint?

O.C.D. 06

Obsesive Civic Driver
5+ Year Member
What to do?: I wanted to get my Type R lip and OEM side skirts painted so I went to two local body shops today. The first guy said he wouldn't paint my skirts basically because he said they would chip and he thought it was stupid. (He's stupid). He then said he would charge me $60 for the hours work to paint the lip, but he wouldn't guarantee his work in case the paint started to peel.

I went to a second shop then and they told me they also wouldn't paint my skirts because they said the paint would not stick. They said I need to buy factory skirts that are made of an ABS plastic material like my lip. I know my skirts are really faded but I am not so sure this guy is right?
He then said it would be $290 for the three hours to paint just the lip.

I think it is clear that I need to get a third quote or do the paint myself. I am hesitant to DIY because I have never painted anything before and I don't want it to look like crap. I would love to pay less than $200 to get everything done. And do I really need new skirts?

What should I do?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its really not that bad if u have the time and patience to do a diy on ur own. spend under 50 for a complete job

just get regular duplicolor cans and do nice smooth reasonably quick sprays. and even if u mess up the first few coats, u can always just keep adding layers or wet sand and spray again

O.C.D. 06

Obsesive Civic Driver
5+ Year Member
$50 for the lip and the skirts? Do you agree I can paint the side skirts?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive painted side skirts and a lip before..

I had c-west side skirts and a mugen style front lip. Id recommend painting it yourself, since its mainly trim pieces, not large body pieces like your bumper. If you want a quick guideline for painting here ya go:

1. Wetsand the whole surface of what your painting. Take your time do it right. Then wipe the piece clean with soap/water or some other solution. So people say to use laquer thinner, but dont do that, it will take away from the paint sticking.

2. Spray 1-2 coats of primer (avaliable at a paint or automotive store - doesnt have to be "automotive"). Basically make sure the pieces are covered well.

3. Get your paint. Id recommend duplicolor (they make paint cans with your car's color code so its an exact match). Here spray light coats (letting them dry throughly in between), dont worry about not covering the whole piece with the first coat - its better to do many light coats.

4. Once the pieces are fully covered with paint and your happy with the amount of paint (too light or too dark), then its time for the clearcoat, which gets multiple layers until it'll make up pretty damn close to the shine on your car currently.

That should be it. Matches up pretty good and saves lots o bucks - many of people have done this. Overall the best way though would be to get a paint gun and compressor ;)

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
O.C.D. 06 said:
$50 for the lip and the skirts? Do you agree I can paint the side skirts?
well if you havent mounted them its worth a try.. I was quoted 300+ just to paint the front bumper and lip of my car. Just wanted to cover a few rockchips and whatnot. Paint will stick to it as long as you use the promoter.

Cod Man

1.7 60'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sk8shorty017 said:
Ive painted side skirts and a lip before..

I had c-west side skirts and a mugen style front lip. Id recommend painting it yourself, since its mainly trim pieces, not large body pieces like your bumper. If you want a quick guideline for painting here ya go:

1. Wetsand the whole surface of what your painting. Take your time do it right. Then wipe the piece clean with soap/water or some other solution. So people say to use laquer thinner, but dont do that, it will take away from the paint sticking.

2. Spray 1-2 coats of primer (avaliable at a paint or automotive store - doesnt have to be "automotive"). Basically make sure the pieces are covered well.

3. Get your paint. Id recommend duplicolor (they make paint cans with your car's color code so its an exact match). Here spray light coats (letting them dry throughly in between), dont worry about not covering the whole piece with the first coat - its better to do many light coats.

4. Once the pieces are fully covered with paint and your happy with the amount of paint (too light or too dark), then its time for the clearcoat, which gets multiple layers until it'll make up pretty damn close to the shine on your car currently.

That should be it. Matches up pretty good and saves lots o bucks - many of people have done this. Overall the best way though would be to get a paint gun and compressor ;)
I wouldn't reccomend wetsanding... just use 320 grit to sand with it will help the paint stick better not being so slick. And sand the primer a little too.

mr_speedvision

5+ Year Member
go to your local automotive paint store and ask for some bulldog plastic prep, and adheasion promoter. get brown (fine) 3m scour pads and scuff up the parts, use the plastic prep, wipe it down with some thinner and follow the directions on the adheasion promoter... use thin coats on the paint, and WAH LAH! no chips no pealing

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
O.C.D. 06 said:
What to do?: I wanted to get my Type R lip and OEM side skirts painted so I went to two local body shops today. The first guy said he wouldn't paint my skirts basically because he said they would chip and he thought it was stupid. (He's stupid). He then said he would charge me $60 for the hours work to paint the lip, but he wouldn't guarantee his work in case the paint started to peel.

I went to a second shop then and they told me they also wouldn't paint my skirts because they said the paint would not stick. They said I need to buy factory skirts that are made of an ABS plastic material like my lip. I know my skirts are really faded but I am not so sure this guy is right?
He then said it would be $290 for the three hours to paint just the lip.
that's funny, I hadt my lips and stock sideskirts painted at a local body shop and they look great...no chips or anything, and I've had them for almost two years now....although there is a scratch on one of my sideskirts from a stupid twig....

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did the DIY for my lip and sideskirts... i was skeptical at first weather or not i would do a good job being my first time ever painting, but it was so much easier than i had thought, i just wish i had done like 2 more clear coats in addition to the 2 or 3 i did

O.C.D. 06

Obsesive Civic Driver
5+ Year Member
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I've decided I am going to do it myself. I just need to wait now for a nice day. I'll follow up with some before and after pics so you can let me know how I did.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
make sure you know how to spay paint it...anybody can spray paint a lip or side skirts but not everybody can make it look good...keep that in mind....i did my side skirts but had my friend help me out...he's done alot of spray painting projects so he knows what hes doing...

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ nice EM1 man. like most say take your time on it. it will be worth it in the end.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's all about prep. I did mine a few years a go and I actually did a poor job prepping. Now 2 years later, it's only coming off where the tire kicks up rocks and a little by the door. Overall not bad. I'm going to sand them all down this Spring and do it right this time. So someone telling you it won't stick is wrong.

Sweetducklet8

Blah blah blah....
5+ Year Member
I realize this thread is a bit old, but anyone know about how many spray paint cans it takes to paint stock side skirts/moldings?

ryanM

Sweetducklet8 said:
I realize this thread is a bit old, but anyone know about how many spray paint cans it takes to paint stock side skirts/moldings?
depends on how many layers your doing, and what cans you get. when i got the cans of my paint color they were really small, so if you have to get small cans i would get 2-3 for each side skirt, and 2-3 per side for your moldings, but thats if you have to use the little cans, if you can find regular sized cans in the color you need, then i'd use 1-2 instead of 2-3