Lobing b16a2

JDUD

5+ Year Member
I am new to the Honda world. I just bought a 99 Civic Si. slight mods done before me include; AEM cai,skunk2 throttle body, and S2 pro-series intake manifold. I have replaced plugs, wires, radiator, IAC, MAP, oil, and filter. The problem is ,it seems, that after getting into it at WOT the car will start lobing when I come to rest. At low RPMS the the car runs like s**t and bucks and jerks once over 3500 rpms it smoothes out. I have racked my brain about this since the day I bought it.:wtfsign: Can anyone help?

P.S. car also has DC Sport header, and HKS exhaust. Car doesnt seem to do this when I drive it like my mom drives her car.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am new to the Honda world. I just bought a 99 Civic Si. slight mods done before me include; AEM cai,skunk2 throttle body, and S2 pro-series intake manifold. I have replaced plugs, wires, radiator, IAC, MAP, oil, and filter. The problem is ,it seems, that after getting into it at WOT the car will start lobing when I come to rest. At low RPMS the the car runs like s**t and bucks and jerks once over 3500 rpms it smoothes out. I have racked my brain about this since the day I bought it.:wtfsign: Can anyone help?

P.S. car also has DC Sport header, and HKS exhaust. Car doesnt seem to do this when I drive it like my mom drives her car.
Do you think it is not coming out of VTEC?
B

katsiki

Katsiki
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
X3, has to be the prob

JDUD

5+ Year Member
thats what i was thinking...is there a module that controls the VTEC....I did place a breather on the side of the valve cover gasket and plugged the intake..(someone reccomended it) I dont know if that has anything to do with it...thanx for the help all

JDUD

5+ Year Member
ok question.VTEC solenoid is it supposed to be on at low RPMS. Hooked up the Snap-on scanner again and monitor the vehicle. And it shows the VTEC solenoid on and a VTEC switch off

JDUD

5+ Year Member
anyone no how these things work? i am going to rescan and try to post up DTC's

JDUD

5+ Year Member
oh yeah CEL comes on and thats when it does it..reset by removing positive terminal and it goes away

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
oh yeah CEL comes on and thats when it does it..reset by removing positive terminal and it goes away
Well hook up an OBDII Autoscanner to it instead of removing the terminal and see what it says, be easier to diagnose the problem with that code.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ha! well you shouldn't just erase any ol' code that shows up. you should get the code and try and figure out what the problem is with your engine...

JDUD

5+ Year Member
anyone no how these things work? i am going to rescan and try to post up DTC's

the code i keep getting is p0420 catalyst effeciency low bank 1..which could be 02 or cat. converter

and of course VTEC solenoid is on at low RPMS which that code makes no sense for that code

99EBPSi

RIP - MH - 11/06/06
Yea, I used to get that code when we gutted my cat.... your problem baffles me, no idea.

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your vtec solenoid may be operating correctly but, the vtec pins (whatever it's called) could be locked in place. Since vtec uses oil preasure.

JDUD

5+ Year Member
i was wondering on my way home i monitored it with a Snap-on scantool...I monitored the Vtec solenoid and the vtec oil pressure switch..it all operates fine unless i really get into the throttle...after driving it hard it starts to lobe...then I see VTEC solenoid on Vtec oil pressure switch off and this is at idle...i get the same readings when the car hits Vtec while driving right around 5300 RPMS...thats why I am confused..i really do appreciate everyones help

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
take the vtec solonoid off, theres an oil filter on it. check and see if its dirty, if it is clean it up and see if that fixes your problem.

JDUD

5+ Year Member
just an update....i think i may have gotten a bad IAC...i am getting the p0505 code as soon as i cleared the code it went away....I have a Honda IAC coming and gonna try that...i have no vaccum leaks to speak of and the egr must not be stuck open....keeping my fingers crossed.

JDUD

5+ Year Member
well have the new IAC in and it is still doin it.....still getting a p0505 code...next step is adjusting the throttle body and ordering an S2 throttle body gasket (incase I effed up when making one)any one else know waht to do...there are no vaccum leaks or chaffed wiring...