Long distance safe?

Ice Cream Kid

So I don't QUITE know if this qualifies as tech, but I'd like to know before I plan anything...would it be safe to take a 2000 civic ex coupe with something like 285-287k miles on a 3000 mile round trip? I'm just asking because I really want to go to Salt Lake Comic Con this year, and if I can make it there and back in my civic it'll be about half the cost of flying there....Thanks :D

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's like asking if you will die tomorrow. We have absolutely no way of knowing that.

It depends on condition of the car, how well it has been taken care or, if there are any existing problems, how you take care of it, how you drive it, etc. There are too many variables. I have heard of civics going well over 500,000 miles and have heard of them dying in less than 50,000.

Ice Cream Kid

Oh geez I guess I slipped on that one ;_;
Sorry guys, let me try again
The car runs strong, starts well, runs well, is auto (ew I know), doesn't seem to have any noticeable problems
I figure it's probably fine but I just wanted to get some more opinions first

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
check all your fluids, change the oil, change air filter, fill it up with good gas, and ride into the sunset.

Genyc07

If u are really concerned get AAA it is less than 100$ a year and should giv e u a little piece of mind. Just a thought.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Probably fine. A car at speed is under very little stress, plus air is rammed into the engine bay so it stays a nice decent temp. I would suggest bringing a gallon of water just incase. Check the upper radiator hose and make sure it's not swollen or rock hard. Change the oil, check the tires for nails , damage, rot , ect, and head out. Most people rent cars to travel because it's new and should be less of a problem. I do however service a decent amount of enterprise cars for problems. That said anything can happen.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Could bring coolant but water is a lot cheaper. If it gets to the point you need to add much of either you have a problem you'll have to address ASAP which in most cases will involve losing what you put in anyways. It's just a temp fix to keep you from getting stranded on the side of a road.

RonJ

Banned
Could bring coolant but water is a lot cheaper. If it gets to the point you need to add much of either you have a problem you'll have to address ASAP which in most cases will involve losing what you put in anyways. It's just a temp fix to keep you from getting stranded on the side of a road.
The whole idea of bringing fluid along is to top off for a slow leak or to get further down the road in the case of a faster leak. Either way, you never want to put water in your cooling system, as you know. So just bring the proper fluid (coolant).

And if the coolant leak is so massive that all the fluid is lost, the only proper action is to turn the engine off and call for a tow truck so that the engine is not destroyed.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It should be okay if you're not having problems, just get an oil change beforehand and check all of your fluids, tires, etc.