Looking for a new car and all I can find are friggin automatics! Question!

PitBullMomma

5+ Year Member
Is it super hard or expensive to make an automatic a manual or am I just better off waiting to find a manual for sale?`

emerican

Registered VIP
I agree your better off just waiting and buying a manual. Auto to manual swaps take alot of parts and if you cant do it yourself then shops charge a very large amount for them.

michaelliv

yeah I waited months looking for the right honda.. I found my 5-speed luckily watching craiglist 24-hours a day 7 days a week.. it sucked but paid off.. now I am driving my favorite car.. it's funny how good things come to those who wait..

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The swap isn't too bad. Cost me about $800 and a weekend, with a very knowledgeable friend helping. Found a lot of the parts here, some on craigslist, and some brand new from Honda.

If you want a nice project, go for it. Otherwise I would wait for a manual.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was gonna say... It's not absurdly expensive or anything. It would be a royal pain if you didn't know what you were doing though. It's been done a ton of times by now. There should be lots of How-To's all over the web.

I would personally do an auto-to-manual swap.

emerican

Registered VIP
Its not overly expenseve unless you have to pay a shop to do it.
Personally i would wait a little bit longer and find a manual then buy a car and have to drop almost a grand into it to make it a manual. Also if the car has to be used as a dd it will be down for a little while while the swap is being done. Unless you are very knowledgable or know someone who is or are just looking to do one for a project i would just buy a manual.