Looking for advice on purchasing 1st SLR

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in awhile but i remembered that we had a few photographers on the site that always took great pics *i.e. Rand0m*. So i came back since i was getting tired of what my canon P&S digi camera was giving me and i was looking at upgrading to a SLR. So that's why i'm here i've been reading a bit on the subject but its looking like it can be a bit overwhelming picking a camera that'll be good for me to start off with. I don't really need anything super fancy and new since i just want it for days i want to shoot some pics of the car or if i'm out and wanna take a few pics of a building or something since i'm an architecture major. So if you guys can make a few suggestions on what'll be a good camera to start off with it'd be great. Personal experiences would help and if there's any good forums on shooting i'd like to join to take full advantage of it. i don't really want/need anything new but if you guys think i should get something new i'll willing to go that route.

Thanks once agian guys. :cool:

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Basically it comes down to whether or not you want Canon or Nikon. Then after you choose that look at what's available in your price range

Jspec Ej6

Sam
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Basically it comes down to whether or not you want Canon or Nikon. Then after you choose that look at what's available in your price range
I agree. My 1st DSLR was a D80, the only reason why i went with nikon was i like the way it feels in my hands, nice and comfortable.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the choice is simple. do you want nice lenses or crap lenses?

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I agree with Jspec. The Canon was a little bit bigger and bulky, Nikon feels perfect. Ohh and another reason I went with Canon was because my grandfather bought a Canon Xsi and we switched for a couple days to see how they compared.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love my sony alpha :what: most people think im shooting with nikon or canon from what i come up with.

Anybody can buy a camera, but it doesn't mean you'll make worthwhile shots. I know a local photographer shooting with a D200 and his pics are weak. He actually asks me for advice and help shooting

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I love my sony alpha :what: most people think im shooting with nikon or canon from what i come up with.

Anybody can buy a camera, but it doesn't mean you'll make worthwhile shots. I know a local photographer shooting with a D200 and his pics are weak. He actually asks me for advice and help shooting
Good point.

Good article: http://kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member