Looking to get back into a Civic...?

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm back! Or looking to get back, in any case. I haven't been on in quite some time, mainly due to the fact that I no longer have my '98 EX. As far as an update (in case anyone gives a crap) I got stationed in Yuma, AZ in November of 2011 and almost immediately after driving the Civic there from my home in Alabama it was just breakdown after breakdown... probably had something to do with the fact that it's 110+ degrees out daily during the summer. :lol: In any case, I sold it shortly before going to Marine Security Guard school in July. That didn't pan out for a number of reasons, but I was lucky enough to get stationed in beautiful Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii! I picked up a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT as a temp car until I could find something better.

Which brings me to the meat and potatoes of this... I'm really considering getting a loan from my bank (Navy Federal) and procuring a brand new Civic. I have zero credit because I've never needed it, I make enough money to get what I want without racking up debt. That's probably the biggest hurdle I have to cross, but I'm told that as long as it's not too much I could get one. I've never bought a brand-new car, or anything from a dealer for that matter. I could MAYBE get $2,000 off this Pontiac via trade-in. Anyone else gone the trade-in route, give me some pointers on doing that or just good word on dealers, how the new Civics are, etc. would be freaking awesome. I really want a brand-new car that I can take care of and treat nice that won't be giving me a bunch of BS like used cars do. I've been looking at a blue LX coupe online... If I do get it I'll definitely be on here more often! :D

The Civic just before I sold it:

The Grand Am:

At the office:

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would suggest a tsx or tl or something besides a civic if you are going brand new.

Welcome back!

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah man, those are WAAAY out of the price range for the loan I could get, haha. I tried getting a $27k loan before and they pretty much shut me down from the start because I had no credit. The most I could get is probably about 20.

Thanks!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Welcome back man

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome back to the site!

Lucky you being stationed in Hawaii :lol:

Your old civic looked good. Best of luck getting into another one!

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, yeah getting sent to Hawaii was such a punishment right? :twisted:

I really do miss that car, especially the stereo and the gas mileage. It just got really annoying after I got to Arizona that everything just started breaking... it had to have been the crazy temps because I never really had a problem with it before then.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How much u planning on putting down? I would look for a used mugen si if i were u...

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm putting $4,000 down... I really don't want another used car, I'm tired of dealing with a bunch of bullshit left over from previous owners' neglect. Finding a Mugen Si for sale here would also be a b***h.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honda fit! BOOOM. space for all your s***. i think they;re like 16k for the base brand spanking new. next year proly they will replace the current generation with the new one as well. dunno if dealers have deals on them yet or not though.

if you're not stuck on honda i'd also say like mazda3. new model just came out for them. might have some previous year ones left still.

or the new 2014 mazda3 is like 155hp, 6spd, 29/40 mpg. but it's proly 20k for that base.

i'd proly get a cheap car for bad weather and then a motorcycle =)

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 more doors... two more whores?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 more doors... two more whores?
if we're talking about the fit vs a civic coupe it'd proly more like 10 more whores capacity. the back seat of a fit has about 5 inches more leg room and 5inch more head room than a civic which is really nice for your adult friends who aren;t asians or girls. and if you plop the seats down into the floor nice and flat you got 57 cubic feet of cargo space. civic has 11 cubic feet of cargo space. it's kinda shocking how much space there is in those fits. they really aren't very big.

then again i'm good with a bike with my tank bag and maybe a bag strapped to the back for long trips. throttle lock, heated grips and i'm set. best part is i'm not sitting inside an appliance to travel.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if we're talking about the fit vs a civic coupe it'd proly more like 10 more whores capacity. the back seat of a fit has about 5 inches more leg room and 5inch more head room than a civic which is really nice for your adult friends who aren;t asians or girls. and if you plop the seats down into the floor nice and flat you got 57 cubic feet of cargo space. civic has 11 cubic feet of cargo space. it's kinda shocking how much space there is in those fits. they really aren't very big.

then again i'm good with a bike with my tank bag and maybe a bag strapped to the back for long trips. throttle lock, heated grips and i'm set. best part is i'm not sitting inside an appliance to travel.
If you get a fit i can pretty much guarantee you wont have any adult friends to worry about fitting in your car...

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
new model just came out for them. might have some previous year ones left still.

or the new 2014 mazda3 is like 155hp, 6spd, 29/40 mpg. but it's proly 20k for that base.
I'm looking at 2013 mazda3s myself, there are some really great deals available with them.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you get a fit i can pretty much guarantee you wont have any adult friends to worry about fitting in your car...
This is something along the lines of what I was thinking, I just didn't want to say it. :lol:

Being able to ride a motorcycle on base is a huge hassle, you have to get a special license and take a two-day course which you have to repeat annually. Also I still live in the barracks which means there's no garage to keep it in or work on it. It's just not worth it to me until I have a house and a garage.

I was looking at those Mazdas too but ehhh, they look busted as hell to me...

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is something along the lines of what I was thinking, I just didn't want to say it. :lol:

Being able to ride a motorcycle on base is a huge hassle, you have to get a special license and take a two-day course which you have to repeat annually. Also I still live in the barracks which means there's no garage to keep it in or work on it. It's just not worth it to me until I have a house and a garage.

harsh fit haters in here.

i don't really like the 2014 mazda3 proportions. the hood seems really big. but the civic doesn't come in hatchback form so i couldn't own it.

2 days a year doesn't sound like much of a hassle to me, plus the whole point is to ride them not to tinker on them. i'd ride every day if it was warm year round here. but i draw the line if there's ice on the roads or below freezing outside. my gloves simply are not warm enough. that's me though.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP

Go with the newer Hyundai optima turboed and red.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You mean a Kia Optima? :lol: Those look nice, but way out of my price range... I did mention that I got denied for a $27k loan before, right?

In any case, I bought the blue LX coupe earlier today. Rims will be gotten soon enough. Thanks for playing!

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 days a year doesn't sound like much of a hassle to me, plus the whole point is to ride them not to tinker on them. i'd ride every day if it was warm year round here. but i draw the line if there's ice on the roads or below freezing outside. my gloves simply are not warm enough. that's me though.
It wouldn't be, if my command also wasn't bugging the motorcycle riders for copies of all their paperwork every couple of months either... and yeah if you could walk into the class, I might consider it. But as it stands you need command approval to take two days off work to take the class that isn't scheduled very regularly... getting two days off work is a hassle enough when you're sick and coughing up a lung.

I'm a Marine, cookie. I've got excuses for days. :lol:

It is warm year-round here of course... s**t it's almost the end of October and today it was 79 degrees! :cool:

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm going to have to move down there then. ditch the car for good. it's 37 outside here. i just got back from my warmup bike ride and i'm freezing my balls off. so jump rope time of the year is here.

post up some pix of this blue lx u got