Looking to turbocharge a civic

Cmues

Its my dream to turbocharge an black civic coupe, I was just wondering how much it would cost me to prepare the engine for it then to actually turbocharge it. I'm very much a noob at this and don't have much idea what I'm talking about so please offer some wisdom

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like you will paying someone to do this for you as well. This is best to do on an extra car as you don't want to destroy the engine in your daily driver (DD). So I would say, save some more money and purchase another Civic for about $1000. Then start working on that one, this way you still have your DD to run back and forth to the parts store.

Use the forums search function or google for that matter and you will find hundreds if not thousands of threads on this very topic in this forum alone. Once you start working on the car post up new topics and we can help guide you through problems. Also search Google for a Honda Service Manual, they are possibly the most freely distributed service manuals on the internet.

upload_2015-12-29_11-59-28.png

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Engine modding isnt like playing with Legos, in that you dont just change a few pieces and still have equal reliability. Modding up to a turbo properly encompasses alot of upgrading, meaning time and money. Alot of people here save alot by having the skillset to do alot of the install themselves.

Youll hear and read some people keeping stock internals and never fulling pushing the engine, but if youre not automotively incline then you really wont know what that point is. Therefore, research your butt off for a long time before making a choice on whether or not you should install a turbo.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need more goals than just turbocharging a civic, hp goals, how and where you plan to drive it, this all makes your overall end goal more specific and Will tell you exactly what you need to research. Do you want 500hp or do you want a fast fun reliable dd, auto cross drag race or anything like that? If you don't want 500hp then that save you 1000$ for rods and pistons

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The golden rule: Set a budget and a power goal

Then do some research and figure out if your budget will satisfy your power goal. Don't cheap out, and save at least $500 aside for a good tune, as that is THE most important part of a turbocharged system.

I'm sure you want to understand how these systems to work. I repost this link often, it's a bible and contains so much useful information: http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Pick 2, because you only get 2. ;)