Looks like 2 wastegates

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is it possible to have 2 wastegates on a single turbo? This picture is from my desktop, which is from a del sol that i orginally found on ebay. They look like Wastegates to me but I dont know s**t about turbo's.

basoccer17

oki bum
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what exactly is a wastegate?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks like 2 wastegates to me. I don't know why he would need two though. Most definately isn't going to flow enough exhaust to max out just one.

A wastegate is a device that controls exhaust flow to the turbo. It opens at a certain boost level, causing the exhaust to bypass the turbo, making the turbo continue to make the same boost level. this way the boost level doesn't just keep rising

scottyfordy

Mopar Muscle
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only reason I could think of him having two is because he was looking at adding another turbo (Haha) or it was the only part he could buy at the time. Perhaps its just for looks... That's usually how it is anyways.

JDM James

Ominous
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I remember reading he was running alot of boost and producing alot of HP, Like alot of people have said, they dont see the need for 2 wastegates.

SeanMc300

professional a*****e
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, def dont see the need for two....but ill tell you this much, that manifold SUCKS! the placement of the wastegates is the absolute worst....

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a lot of dedicated drag racers find the need for dual-wastegates......

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Team 4R said:
a lot of dedicated drag racers find the need for dual-wastegates......
Yes, but they are making enough power/flowing enough exhaust that one will not suffice. I HIGHLY doubt that that is the case here.