Loose metal flying around in tranny???

4drCivic95

I have a 95 civic sedan bone stock Vtec SOCH...im not mechanically inclined like most of you guys on here but im hearing a rattling noise coming from inside my tranny. It sounds like metal being tossed around in there. I hear it no matter what i do, clutch is engaged i still hear it, revving the car i still hear it. It drives perfectly fine though and no gears are grinding or popping out. Shifts really smooth but the rattling noise came as soon i got on it for the first time. Maybe i chipped a tooth or two and its just bouncing around in the tranny? I didnt hear this the day before until after i got on it...im hoping i didnt mess anything up because i just bought the car off an old couple for a really good deal, 1200 bucks. I test drove and everything and this rattling noise was no where to be found until a couple days later after i decided to open up on the car for once. Please help me figure out what it possibly is, ive searched the threads and it might be a throw out bearing?, but i dont exactly know how it would sound if it was that. thanks guys

RonJ

Banned
Have you checked for a loose or cracked exhaust heat shield?

4drCivic95

yes i have. i've searched through all the similar threads and check every heat shield and exhaust shield. the sound sounds like it is coming from inside the tranny itself. im hoping i didnt mess anything up when i got on the car to open it up a bit.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its a heat shield somehere, if your trans was in that bad of shape it would grind and not shift into gear

RonJ

Banned
Did you check the shields for cracks?

How do you know the sound comes from the tranny?

Any noise in neutral?

Is the MTF level full? Have you replaced it?

Have you checked the axles where they insert into the differential? Any leaks? Large gap?

4drCivic95

im sure its not a heat shield because the sound sounds like a piece of metal flying around some where. I just bought the car so i havent really checked anything yet, just drove it home and parked it. I didnt notice it until i pull the car out the garage and open up the car on the road to see if it still pulls, and it does still pull pretty hard. That was when the sound appeared..im hoping i didnt break anything or chip anything inside the tranny when i decided to do so. But i plan on flushing the tranny and doing an oil change soon anyway.

RonJ: even in nuetral the sound is still there and the longer i sit with the car on, the more i hear it. i have a video of it but i dont know how to post vids on here. if someone shows me how to do that, you could hear what im talking about.

4drCivic95

ok hold on ill try to post the video shortly. you'll hear what im talking about, im hoping its not from the tranny and something simple but i checked all my heat shields and they were all fine, no cracks or anything.

4drCivic95

anyone check out the video i recorded of the sound?...i checked all the heat shields and it wasnt any of those...i dont know what it could possibly be...im stumped.

4drCivic95

no its bone stock, i bought it off an old couple for 1200. It was driven by his wife and they took care of it seeing how clean the interior/exterior is. Also, i was told previous owner before them rebuilt the tranny? i forgot to mention that. The tranny seems fine though, it shifts very smooth, no pop outs no grinding of gears. Im really hoping its nothing serious. I bought it a few days ago and just parked it, havent even registered it yet lol. I took it down my block and opened it up to see how strong it was pulling and thats when the rattling started happening, right after i got on it. I thought i f*cked up the tranny some how so i took it around the block again and drove it normally and it still shifted fine and went in smooth, no grinds.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Ok well you are going to have to sharpen your troubleshooting skills here. Jack it up, start it and look/listen under the car and what not. It almost sounds like every exhaust rattle I've ever heard. I can't think of anything in a transmission that can just rattle and A) Not be causing more damage and B) Still working properly.

4drCivic95

Thats what im saying, i did jack the car up thinking it was something simple like a heat shield or a broken hanger on the exhaust. I checked every other thread with this type of problem before i started this one and checked everything that was mention in those other threads. This just started to happen when i went full throttle on the car to open it up a bit to see what it was still capable of. It pulled very strong still and as soon as i did it, thats when it happened. I drove it 30mins back home after i bought the car and didnt notice it at all during the drive home. It was until i pull the car out and actually pushed the car a bit and as soon as i did, thats when i happened. I'll take another look at it in the morning and double check if it is a heat shield or something of that nature. I pray its something simple and nothing serious. I'll post an update in the morning. thanks for the input guys!

Ant408

Cruising In My Ej8
Registered VIP
the sound is similar to the noise my parents cars cat made everyone thought it was the tranny too

4drCivic95

@Ant408 was it something inside the cat itself making that rattling noise? Im about to change my oil, so imma take a closer look underneath the car.

4drCivic95

ok so i changed my oil today and i found out a lot more than just the rattling noise. Im leaking oil from 3 diff spots, i know 2 of them is from the oil pan so i need to change the gasket soon, and the other i havent figure it out yet but im going to take a closer look tomorrow morning. So, i figure out where the rattling is coming from. Its coming from i think the cat itself or the headers. Im thinking something broke off and is making that rattling noise? any of guys had this problem of know of any one that had this happen to them? Im going to take the headers off and see if any loose metal or whatever is in there making that rattling noise. Hopefully its just that and nothing else to major but im going to need to change the oil pan gasket soon and i was wondering, is that hard to do? I've never done it before but while i was underneath the car it seemed fairly simple. Anything I need to know before i attempt at changing the oil pan gasket?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Two birds with one stone, you have to drop the exhaust manifold to change that gasket. So you can check it out then.

lo-n-slo

I hear this when I am going in reverse with my clutch pedal pressed. I don't know what it is...clutch chatter?

Ant408

Cruising In My Ej8
Registered VIP
@Ant408 was it something inside the cat itself making that rattling noise? Im about to change my oil, so imma take a closer look underneath the car.
ya the cat was bad something messed up inside but im not sure what exactly caused the noise i wasnt there for removal