Loosing water from the ex tank since changing the t/stat.

dontknow

5+ Year Member
On a 1.8Vti....

I drained/filled the system last week, and thought all was well till something made me check it tonight, and it wasnt. No water at all, but the rads stil full.

Filled it again, I hope its an air lock somewhere (although the gauge sits half way now and there hot air, not raosting but hot). Or for some reason the h/g's just blew...

Anyone else had this when changing a stat?

siccdragon

5+ Year Member
This the first time it was empty? I assume you're talking about the over flow. After having a ton of cooling problems(Thermostat, radiator crack and bypass hose splitting all in the same week at different times and unrelated) i could never get it to bleed properly. I would watch it the next week and make sure it doesnt keep going down. As long as your coolant doesnt look milky and you don't have white smoke you should be fine. but thats my 2 cents

EGHseries

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also Check Your Oil See If Its Milky And Have You Cleaned Anything Off Around Your Overflow Tank And Check To See If Theres A Crack Anywhere

dontknow

5+ Year Member
Theres no crack anywhere in the tank or in/around the rad either, everythings dry, and the last time I checked the oil cap (a week before I changed stat) it was fine too.

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's typical after draining and refilling coolant.
Usually there's an air pocket when refilling, it eventually gets replaced
by the coolant and it takes it from the overflow tank.
chances are, once you refill it, it will stay there.:cool: