Loud noise from the rear of the car

donotknowathing

My daughter drives a 2006 Honda Civic. It was making very loud noises during the summer and so we replaced the four tires on the car. It helped some. Now that she is home for the holidays, the noise it back. It is coming from the rear, sounds like you are in a plane or tank and becomes louder as you accelerate. It does not make the noise if you put the car in neutral and accelerate. Any ideas? My first thought was that maybe it has something to do with the wheel bearings??????

civicspencer

Registered VIP
My daughter drives a 2006 Honda Civic. It was making very loud noises during the summer and so we replaced the four tires on the car. It helped some. Now that she is home for the holidays, the noise it back. It is coming from the rear, sounds like you are in a plane or tank and becomes louder as you accelerate. It does not make the noise if you put the car in neutral and accelerate. Any ideas? My first thought was that maybe it has something to do with the wheel bearings??????
Cold be the main bearing but I wouldn't think they would already need to be changed, how many miles. Also are the tires balanced?)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877303,-99.509390

paulx022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A noise isn't exactly the most descriptive word you could think of I'm sure. Is it clunking or all the time, clicking, squealing?

donotknowathing

Cold be the main bearing but I wouldn't think they would already need to be changed, how many miles. Also are the tires balanced?)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877303,-99.509390
We just bought 4 new tires a few months ago and they were balanced. It sounds like you are in prop airplane getting ready to take off -- the faster you go, the louder it gets -- at 50 you're airbourne

donotknowathing

A noise isn't exactly the most descriptive word you could think of I'm sure. Is it clunking or all the time, clicking, squealing?
At about 30 miles an hour, the noise begins. As you accelerate it gets louder and louder -- sounds like you are in an airplane getting ready to take off - VERY LOUD HUMMMMMMIIIINNNNGGGG. If you turn, say making a tight curve, the noise lessens.....

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any chance you can get a video clip of the sound? Maybe have her drive and sit in the back seat an try to record the sound.