Loud Popping sound from boing burnout?

Honda Importz89

5+ Year Member
Alright this is probably an extremely noob question but im looking for serious answers. I just recently went to NJ englishtown raceway park for Street Wars Saturday and well at last Honda Day too. But whenever some of like the badass civics did there burnouts it went from like normal exhaust to a loud ass shotgun sounding popping noise. So i tried to ask a couple of people about it, but ppl dont seem to like to explain or be cool. So i figure you guys could give me some info. One guy mentioned 2-step? im not sure but i want it. So any help is appreciatred. thanks guys

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Its prolly cuz they are hitting the rev limiter and its back firing.

Honda Importz89

5+ Year Member
idk it was so loud. It was screaimn like from all the way down the track you could hear it like a shotgun.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be from the turbo poping

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like Launch Control maybe?

1992_HB

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea I was there for honday day. A lot of turbo cars do that when they launch (2-step) or reving really high and bouncin off the rev limiter will do it to .

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its a 2 step... un burnt fuel is igniting in the exhaust... how was street wars btw? i was thinking about going but didnt... i know it was real nice out there

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the point of two 2step is to have launch control and to spool the turbo

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda Importz89 said:
so what is everything i need?
well im not really an expert but its somthing like for turbo cars usually, its written into the computer for example (hondata) that when the car is going 0 mph the rev limiter will be se to maybe like 4500..... You should probally be turbo first and then see if either you chipped ecu or stand alone can have a 2 step activated....

Basically its a functional thing really not really for show... although it is cool to see and hear

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, this is a noob question, but at some carshow a guy was trying to convince we that he had a dual stage v-tec(h) and I dont see how this could be possible

ryanM

K2_civic said:
ok, this is a noob question, but at some carshow a guy was trying to convince we that he had a dual stage v-tec(h) and I dont see how this could be possible
there is 3 stage vtec, but ive never heard of a 2 stage vtec...

all go no show

Half Retarded
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not necessarily for turbo.. 2 stage launch controls work by specifying a comparison of rpm vs. speed. So for example at less than 2mph, your engine may be limited to 3500 rpms. That way you dont have to be staring at your tach or playing with the throttle when your trying to launch. The pop you hear is the unburnt fuel backfiring as the engine bounces off the limiter. Clearly this would have applications in many drag cars, not just turbo ones.

**Edit** Someone mentioned hondata, but i dont think you necessarily need a whole program. I believe some of MSD's fancier systems have this feature.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know there there is 3 stage VTEC but nothing as 2 stage VTEC...maybe he was just refering to the number of cams that you have "d00d..does your honda have twin cams.." or whatever else they might say.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my b20vtec gets some real serious backfires if i run through the gears up to about 7,700+ rpm's

scares people when i pass them