Loud "revolving" sound from front end? Ran out of ideas on where/what it is!

ekprimal

Hey everyone, my cars dropped on GC coils and about 4 months back I was going 80 on the highway on freshly paved highway up until it got to the cut off line for the older road. The highway had like a 3 inch high dink in the road from where the highway was divided. I hope my description makes sense.....

Pretty much i hit a 3 hump going 80 and ever since then i've had a constant "WOB WOB WOB WOB WOB" sound coming from the front end.

I figured and cancelled out the options:

1) Dented rota rim.....nope.
2) Wheel bearing on all 4 wheels were replaced (thought this was it).....but nope.
3) Falken ziex tire noise? Nope. Don't remember it making a revolving rotating WOB WOB WOB sound when i put them on long ago.

My final thought is a bent axle.......or breaks?? but I hear it when I'm in motion and as i go faster the WOB WOB WOB WOB sound gets faster.

Any thoughts will help because its annoying me! Thanks all

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like busted belt in the tire or tires. Any bulges?

Trekk

Registered VIP
Check the tires, of they had a bad enough impact they will form a lump on them in that spot. If you pretty sure the noise is in the front rotate the front tires to the rear and see if the sound moves also. Sometimes the damage is pretty minor and you don't really see it till you spin the tire and watch the surface of the thread.

ekprimal

Sounds like busted belt in the tire or tires. Any bulges?

hmmmm good call. One of my friends who works on my car asked if I had my tires balanced, in which I did when I got them mounted onto my rims. Haven't checked for bulges. I'll check that out tomorrow.

If it is a bulge issue is that dangerous? Like potential to pop the tire?

Check the tires, of they had a bad enough impact they will form a lump on them in that spot. If you pretty sure the noise is in the front rotate the front tires to the rear and see if the sound moves also. Sometimes the damage is pretty minor and you don't really see it till you spin the tire and watch the surface of the thread.
I rotated my tires too when I thought it was a dented rim, but the sound still comes from the front even after rotating the tires :(

Last edited by a moderator:

ekprimal

apologize lethal!!!!! <3

but update on the situation. I replaced all 4 wheel bearings with new ones. any other thoughts of its not buldge, bearings, or axel?

it must be the coning of the tires =/ but whats the chances or coincidence that i began hearing the sound AFTER i hit a bad bump in the road.

this mystery has me bugging out :( i just want a smooth silent ride!!

thanks all again for the thoughts. keep them coming!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you have the tires checked or are you just guessing? You could have also bent a wheel which may not show without testing on a balance machine. A busted belt on the tire can show up later and sometimes is easy to overlook. Yes it can lead to a blowout.

It isn't a coincidence that the sound showed up after you hit the hole in the road. It's pretty obvious that it is what caused this.

Take it to a shop and have them look at it instead of guessing and throwing parts at it. Throwing parts at a problem is the worst way to diagnose something.

ekprimal

Did you have the tires checked or are you just guessing? You could have also bent a wheel which may not show without testing on a balance machine. A busted belt on the tire can show up later and sometimes is easy to overlook. Yes it can lead to a blowout.

It isn't a coincidence that the sound showed up after you hit the hole in the road. It's pretty obvious that it is what caused this.

Take it to a shop and have them look at it instead of guessing and throwing parts at it. Throwing parts at a problem is the worst way to diagnose something.
i'll swing by my local alignment shop and check it out. thanks!