Low boost engine and fuel management

Vtecademics

Senior Lurker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a T28 that I plan to install and run low boost in the range of 4-6 lbs on my D16Z6. I have researched quite a bit and think I am almost ready to do the install. The only thing that intimidates me is the fuel/engine management. I have gotten mixed reviews about what is necessary to run modest boost in terms of management. I have blue top DSM injectors, HKS Turbo Timer, and Zeitronix datalogging so far in terms of management. I have read that my stock system could handle the modest boost intake as long as I am under 8 lbs. Is this right? How about the map sensor? Would the stock fuel pump power the DSM injectors fine, and are the injectors even necessary? Would ecu chipping be needed? This is my first boost project and I'd appreciate it if someone could guide me in the right direction.

Current Part List:

Garrett T28
Charge piping, couplers, and clamps
Front Mount Intercooler
DSM Blue Top Injectors
Zeitronix Datalogging
HKS Turbo Timer (not needed but was free so eh)
DSM BOV

Needed:

Manifold
Downpipe
4-6lb Wastegate
Oil Feed/Return Lines
ECU Chipping?
Fuel Pump?
Missing Link Map sensor override?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the stock map sensor will read up to 11 pounds of boost i believe. your stock fuel pump is good too 300hp but alot of people replace them. i would get a chipped ecu and have it tuned on crome, uberdata, etc

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yes you need those injectors...stock injectors will not be able to give enough fuel....

no, you dont need to upgrade fuel pump for low boost setup....

stock map sensor can read up to 11.66 psi....

so instead of only running 8lbs you man as well run 11-12 psi....

go to www.xenocron.com and buy a chipped ecu that comes with a basemap for your setup....then take that ecu and go get it dyno tuned at your local dyno tuning shop...

Vtecademics

Senior Lurker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's great news. Thanks for your help guys, you rock. :headbang:

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know about that. my s**t would shut down as soon as my map sensor would see boost, it wouldn't even let me get to my 8psi. I went getto and installed some fish tank check valves on the vacuum line before the map sensor and used an apexi safc 2 to dyno tune it. I never ran into a problem with the tune the safc2 gave me although the screen on the piece of s**t did go out a few months after I was boosting. :thumbdown

it didn't f**k with the tune tho ;)

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I don't know about that. my s**t would shut down as soon as my map sensor would see boost, it wouldn't even let me get to my 8psi. I went getto and installed some fish tank check valves on the vacuum line before the map sensor and used an apexi safc 2 to dyno tune it. I never ran into a problem with the tune the safc2 gave me although the screen on the piece of s**t did go out a few months after I was boosting. :thumbdown

it didn't f**k with the tune tho ;)
then something is wrong with your map sensor or something lol...

i was running the stock map sensor and 12psi...and the b***h hauled balls....and that was with a BRE basemap...

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know. I was using the old 4th gen map mounted on the firewall vs the one on my z6 which is on the intake mani. Maybe that had something to do with it. obd0

I would get it tuned tho. No matter if it's low psi or not, get it tuned. ;)

ghettoturbo

5+ Year Member
I don't know. I was using the old 4th gen map mounted on the firewall vs the one on my z6 which is on the intake mani. Maybe that had something to do with it. obd0

I would get it tuned tho. No matter if it's low psi or not, get it tuned. ;)

The difference is that the other people were running a chipped ecu. A stock map can read boost, but a stock computer will freak out when it sees boost;)