Low Mileage with 97 Civic EX

jackdog1

Any ideas why my Civic is only getting about ~26mpg normal driving (should be 30/38)?

I've already changed the spark plugs (replaced stock with iridium ones), done two Lucas Oil fuel additives (cleans injectors), changed the air filter, and I just replaced the dizzy cap and rotor yesterday.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ill be honest with you, MY OPINION on fuel additives is they hurt more than they help. Most additives will break up foreign deposits and carbon into smaller parts which tend to clog the injector jets over time.

Looks like you have gone through the right steps to do a good tune up. Next I would replace the fuel filter and see where that leads you.

Also are you getting any CEL's? If so, address those as well. Especially if its a faulty primary O2 sensor. The secondary O2 is irrelative, it's only there to monitor the condition of the catalytic converter.

Most of all, take a second look at your own driving habits. The advertised fuel mileage for cars is measured with the most conservative of driving.

jackdog1

I don't have any CEL's, so I don't think it an O2 problem. I do tend to take off a bit fast though.

I'll take a look at the fuel filter.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't lay patches ;), I just accelerate a bit quick

All it takes is hard acceleration.. a little but old but still a good read here: http://blog.automatic.com/aggressive-driving/

With that being said, 26 is probably normal if you're city driving the entire time. Easy way to test -- fill er up and baby it for a tank, see what happens. :thumbs up

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
aren't those mpg number figures just and "estimate" of the average/ general over all mpg of the car?

jackdog1

All it takes is hard acceleration.. a little but old but still a good read here: http://blog.automatic.com/aggressive-driving/

With that being said, 26 is probably normal if you're city driving the entire time. Easy way to test -- fill er up and baby it for a tank, see what happens. :thumbs up
That makes sense, it had been sitting for two years before I got it, and I haven't gotten the chance to take it on a highway for longer than ten minutes, or even above 65mph.

My dizzy cap was fairly corroded (replaced it two days ago), and the ignition rotor was pretty black, so I wonder if I'll see any change in mpg now.

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
True, but I've found the mpg estimates to be fairly accurate for Hondas.

ok but you gotta remember the driver has a huge impact on that mpg number as well plus car's age the motors don't really hold exactly same hp numbers and it once did or could have when it was brand spanking new

jackdog1

ok but you gotta remember the driver has a huge impact on that mpg number as well plus car's age the motors don't really hold exactly same hp numbers and it once did or could have when it was brand spanking new
Why is that? Is it just do to general wear or buildup in the engine over time? Just wondering.

I'm just annoyed that my parent's '04 Civic LX still gets about what it's rated to (33-36 mixed, mostly city), but mine only gets 25-26 under the same conditions, even though we have close to the same mileage (and I don't even drive as fast as them!)

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Why is that? Is it just do to general wear or buildup in the engine over time? Just wondering.

I'm just annoyed that my parent's '04 Civic LX still gets about what it's rated to (33-36 mixed, mostly city), but mine only gets 25-26 under the same conditions, even though we have close to the same mileage (and I don't even drive as fast as them!)

yea normal wear and tear and build up we can only do so much to help keep it like new most of the time with heat and pressure everything wears down

jackdog1

Well, replaced the fuel filter, but I think I found the main problem. I took it to the dealership to get my drum brakes replaced, and apparently the rear passenger side one was dragging so much that when they pulled it across the painted floor, it wouldn't turn at first and made a horrible squealing noise.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Further proof that dealership mechanics are largely morons. NEVER take a Civic out of warranty to a dealership. How much did they overcharge you?

jackdog1

Further proof that dealership mechanics are largely morons. NEVER take a Civic out of warranty to a dealership. How much did they overcharge you?
I'm going to refrain from using any demeaning adjectives in reference to the good mechanics who are currently yanking a seized-up drum off and replacing the entire brake assembly (something I really don't want to fix myself)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, "good" until your cars back to normal. Then you can be honest. Thats such an obvious thing to catch & avoid.

jackdog1

Yeah, "good" until your cars back to normal. Then you can be honest. Thats such an obvious thing to catch & avoid.
Which is why I'm annoyed that I didn't notice it sooner. This is the first time I've even taken it to the dealership, and that's because I didn't want to mess with the drum brakes.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
well not all technicians at dealer are bad. i used to work at dealerships, mater of fact i perfer it over independent shops because i get to pensions and all the medical/dental benefits plus better work hours/ pay those are the things you don't get when you work at a independent shops 99% of the time