Lower 01 civic

Drulex

Hey, im kinda new to this so I need some advice. I just put 17"s on my 01 civic and they look pretty good, but the car is kinda high. Thing is I wanna drop it, but want to drive it during winter too. What is the cheapest option for a 2.5in drop? I have around 4 inches between tires and car. I want to eventually put a lip kit also.. is 2.5 too much?

thanks

Civic_Addict

Civic_Addict
5+ Year Member
f**k yea dude. if your driving in the snow... an inch drop tops! then you wont blow your shocks... but if you want to lower your car more for the summer time you could always buy coilovers instead. they let you adjust them anyway you want! skunk 2 racing has a good set up and theyre affordable too. if you want lowering springs go with tienen b/c some types are made for the factory set up... Nice rims by the way. What kind are they?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2.5.... I don't think that'll be driveable in the snow. I'm lowered 2.25 in sunny florida with pretty good road conditions and it's drivable, but I still have to take certain precautions and have to look out for certain things. 2.5 in snow will be very very tough to drive.

Young gunna

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
drop the car 1.5 maybe 2 at the most. i drove my car in the snow and it was dropped at 1.5 and it was tuff sometimes

xxcha0s77

i want to no if i could put coilover selves over the stock struts ?

or would the lowering springs be better for putting on the stock structs ... my struts are strong and i looked at them and they look branded new ...

what would a 2 inch drop look like on a 2002 honda civic ... mabe a picture ?

Brian13

5+ Year Member
I'm Slammed all the way down on Coiloves (year round)
Here in Jersey, Snow isn't a problem. It actually made it easier to shovel the driveway. Snow plowed it.
This was In the bad snow storm or 2009/2010. Key note - Lip Kit was still in tack.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How the hell did you get your car to move through that?

Brian13

5+ Year Member
LOL, It's called skill...just messing. IDK, I love to drive in that crap, my bosses were suprised when they saw me in work those days
Anyways, to answer the OP's question. depending on the with of the tire, you should be able to drop whatever you want. Another thing is if you're just trying to fill the wheel well up. Your tires look pretty thing almost like a 35 series or so. A long time ago, when I had 18"s, I had a 40 series on.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Brian has gained a few badass points in my book :lol:

chaos - I really recommend you do not use your stock shocks. It doesn't matter what kind of condition they're in. When you buy lowering springs / coilovers, they're stiffer than your stock springs. Your shocks need to compensate for the new stiffness and it puts a lot of stress on them. Stock shocks are not meant to handle this stress, and usually blow. I've heard of a few cases where they didn't, but those were on people who only lowered their car a little bit. On a 2.5" drop, you're gonna screw up your shocks.

xxcha0s77

thanks joe !

which braned do you guys perfer ?

should i get all diffrent brand im tryin to get a nice slam !

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Whats your price range? And are you going for performance or looks?

Drulex

TO CIVIC_ADDICT: my rims are 17' gray metallic RTX rims with LEXANI high performance summer tires 40 series. I negociated them for 400$ rims and tires (was 500) tires have been used 2 seasons.

TO VJF915: im looking more into the look than performance, and money is a big issue. im a student and i wanna spend as less as possible as long as i dont buy crap. maybe around 200 bucks would be my budget. any suggestions?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
200 bucks to lower it?

Not gonna happen. You need to raise your budget to at least 400 to have a shot... even then, your chances are slim.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Then you will need to up your price range to about $700 at least.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's just a coilover sleeve... AKA, an adjustable spring. You'll still need shocks and camber kits.

You're going to need to look far beyond your current price range.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Correct. Having a full coil-over kit will give you the best reliability and performance.