Lowered Civic...too mushy

CivicWI97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My 1997 Civic sedan has H&R sport springs that were put on by the previous owner. The ride of the car seems a little mushy and it isn't as firm as I would like.

Speed bumps are a royal pain, and when I go over them the car seems just a little too bouncy. The springs don't 'react' quick enough - they're kind of weak.

It's lowered somewhere around 1.5" in front and back...what can I do to firm up the ride?

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
get new ones :what:

anf posted a huge list of possible suspension setups... go check that out,.,,,..

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
it may still have the stock shocks and are blown, which would give it a bouncy ride. i would upgrade to some adjustable gas shocks ;)

CivicWI97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I looked at the FAQ on suspension and have a few questions:

How hard is it to tell what shape your shocks are in and if you need replacements?

What shocks would be nice and compatible with H&R sport springs?

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah i dont see how the springs would be a problem unless maybe they were cut b4? Otherwise just get new shocks and you'll be coo

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the main peice of equipment you need is a spring compressor. i dont want this to come off mean, but it will anyways.....how much have you actually worked on a car before? i wouldnt really go messin around with your suspension unless you know what you are doing. just a warning, im not flaming you. there are tons of articles out there on changing shocks and such. try a google search, and i am sure there is something on CC about it....tho i havent really looked in a while on that topic.

CivicWI97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've done quite a bit to my car...the usual oil, trans. fluid, plugs, etc...and changed my brake rotors and pads, had to put on a new exhaust pipe because my snapped off...so it's not like I haven't done anything just not my own suspension stuff.

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Zak8022
the main peice of equipment you need is a spring compressor. i dont want this to come off mean, but it will anyways.....how much have you actually worked on a car before? i wouldnt really go messin around with your suspension unless you know what you are doing. just a warning, im not flaming you. there are tons of articles out there on changing shocks and such. try a google search, and i am sure there is something on CC about it....tho i havent really looked in a while on that topic.
Listen to Zak8022 about this one... in theory, replacing your struts will be easy, in practice, not so much.

Basically what you have to do is get a spring compressor.. I have no idea where you can rent one in the states though (good old Canadian Tire). Now be careful with this thing, cuz if you don't use it properly then you could launch the spring into your abdomen and that would be the end of your modding days...

So you compress your spring so that your strut just sort of hangs there, next you loosen a bolt on the bottom of your strut, near a peice that looks like an upside down "Y", and another bolt neat the top of your strut. This may be a little different depending on what year your car is (Um I hope I'm not missing anything), then you basically pull the whole assembly out (make sure to disconnect the brake line).

Now you can take off the spring and you pop off the mounts from the strut (with a rubber mallet) and then reverse engineer everything.

But be careful... when I tried to do this to my Integra, I ended up giving up cuz my bolts were too seazed to do anything with them. My mechanic ended up welding them off and replacing them. These bolts go under a lot of stress... after all, a whole car is sitting on them, right?

Good luck with whatever you decided to do!

.:SiR:.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can get a spring compressor at autozone. I rented one for $40 and when I bring them back they give me my money back. nice aint it?

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think riceboy84 meant that you have to put a $40 diposit on them...

BTW: Strongbad rocks!

.:SiR:.

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow...me and riceboy said the same thing at the same exact time...wierd

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love homestarruner.com
nothing better than cheap flash cartoons.

KennyC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Rice4Brains
wow...me and riceboy said the same thing at the same exact time...wierd
OoOooooh!:retard: :retard: isnt dat veird!!!:alcoholic

Dark

NOR*CAL
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by CivicWI97
I looked at the FAQ on suspension and have a few questions:

How hard is it to tell what shape your shocks are in and if you need replacements?

What shocks would be nice and compatible with H&R sport springs?
im planning to get tockico gas shocks, i heared they were coo