1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

Lowering and Suspension

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension (All Gens)' started by PokenSomeSmot, Aug 13, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. PokenSomeSmot

PokenSomeSmot New Member

I own a 96 Civic DX coupe and Im wondering where do i start for lowering a suspension??

2. DeathLens

DeathLens EM1 Crew Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

springs/struts or coilovers

3. PokenSomeSmot

PokenSomeSmot New Member

What you think is better I dont mind spending a little extra money if its worth it and where you get your bumper will that fit on my car?

4. ek forever guy

ek forever guy New Member Registered VIP

5. civexspeedy

civexspeedy New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

6. civexspeedy

civexspeedy New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

7. PokenSomeSmot

PokenSomeSmot New Member

Im thinking about lowering my car about 2 to 2.5 inches looking for a decent ride cuz its my dd Do i go with coilovers or spring/struts?

8. ek forever guy

9. civic49

civic49 New Member

slam it is the only way to roll

10. tony9156

tony9156 New Member

I got tein s tech springs on my daily driver, and am really happy with the drop and ride quality. Dropped the car right at about 2 inches. They're on KYB shocks, got the setup for around 500.

11. ek forever guy

I hope you're kidding.

12. civic49

civic49 New Member

Why would I be kidding?

13. ek forever guy

Because slammed is completely impractical. You necessitate high spring rates and stiff damping to avoid jamming your upper control arms. Any car with stiff suspension is going to wear out the already aging oem bushings more quickly and those will need to be replaced or otherwise they will make the ride uncomfortable.

Slammed is not the only way to roll. It's impractical, uncomfortable, and expensive in terms of car maintenance and potential damage to the cars bumper, lip, etc. You're begging for bushings, tie rods, etc to wear out prematurely.

There's nothing wrong with being slammed, just don't tout it as the end all be all of honda suspension culture. Not to mention being slammed makes a car handle worse because of the dramatic loss in suspension travel.

My car isn't even slammed, and I've only got 350lbFront/350lbRear rates. My car I've already deemed as "tolerable" but not fun for daily driving. Taking it easy on every driveway/road entry is not fun. Next year I'd like to buy a TSX to daily drive so I can carry more people around and have a more comfortable commute/etc.

14. civic49

civic49 New Member

Its personal preference....what's fun for one person may not be fun to another...everyone is entitled to their opinion so just because they don't agree with yours doesn't mean their wrong

15. speedygonzales

speedygonzales Royal Member ~ RonJ Registered VIP

Dang man... he was just stating how he felt and how a lot of other people feel... one of the first things that should get replaced when putting an aftermarket suspension is the busings, with a higher than oem quality bushing... I'm lowered maybe 2 inches front and back cause I tuck very slightly on 17's and if I had the money I would go lower (and yes it is my daily driver) just because I like the way it looks

16. ek forever guy

I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, you just said that one way is the ubiquitous path to the same end for a diverse car community. It just implies a lot given the circumstances. I also never said you were wrong, you simply opened a big can of worms that a lot of people aren't aware of when they slam their cars. I drove a slammed civic all through high school. So I know both types of cars. I can't stand having my car much lower than it is right now and it's not that low:

[​IMG]

Again, wording is important. I just felt the need for rebuttal with the simplistic notion that one way to do something isn't the end all be all of suspension modification.

17. speedygonzales

speedygonzales Royal Member ~ RonJ Registered VIP

[/QUOTE]Again, wording is important. I just felt the need for rebuttal with the simplistic notion that one way to do something isn't the end all be all of suspension modification.[/QUOTE]

But to some people it is and to other people its just an expression to say that their car is lowered more than just an inch... for instance I wouldn't say my car is "slammed" but when you compare it to the stock height it looks a whole heck of a lot lower so comparitvly it is slammed but if I were to compare it to some cars on here there would be the same amount of difference as my car compared to stock

18. civic49

civic49 New Member

Just a big misunderstanding I guess haha car looks clean though dude