Lowering my car..

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i lower my car on adjustable coilovers, would i need to get aftermarket struts? Or could i just buy the coilovers and call it a day?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you wouldn't NEED to, but it's highly suggested that you do get shocks to match.

cuetip

Registered VIP
yeah i had just some 50 dollar DNA springs on my stock shocks and the ride was a little bouncy which i didnt care due to the fact that i like bounce when a car is lowered

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you are talking real coilovers they come with springs and struts. If you are talking about cheap ass coilover SLEEVES then no you don't technically need new struts but you should. Then again, I wouldn't go with sleeves to begin with.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i had just some 50 dollar DNA springs on my stock shocks and the ride was a little bouncy which i didnt care due to the fact that i like bounce when a car is lowered
So correct me if i'm wrong, but you have just lowering springs on your suspension that's all? cause i was considering buying skunk lowering springs and just leaving everything stock..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nobody likes a bouncy car :slap:

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
So correct me if i'm wrong, but you have just lowering springs on your suspension that's all? cause i was considering buying skunk lowering springs and just leaving everything stock..
I have skunk2 coil over sleeves on toykico blue struts. At the time I didn't realize the toykico blue where OEM replacements. I hate how my car rides. I'm saving up now for koni yellows. I wish I done this in the first place

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Yes I know n I wish I spent the extra money on the koni yellows to begin with.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine came with Skunk2 springs on stock struts. They are blown. The stock struts aren't meant to handle being lowered and WON'T last.

CIVIC_VTEC

LOW AND SLOW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ill prolly go aftermarket lowering springs, and struts is prolly what I'll end up doing. I should be alright correct?

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
I love how his sig says low and slow but he doesn't know anything about lowering cars lol

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
If you are talking real coilovers they come with springs and struts. If you are talking about cheap ass coilover SLEEVES then no you don't technically need new struts but you should. Then again, I wouldn't go with sleeves to begin with.
Not true at all. Ground control, skunk2, and plenty of other brands are good coilovers. They're just sleeves. Then you choose the shocks you want. What you're referring to is a full bodied coilover. Where its the shock and coilover together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not true at all. Ground control, skunk2, and plenty of other brands are good coilovers. They're just sleeves. Then you choose the shocks you want. What you're referring to is a full bodied coilover. Where its the shock and coilover together.
Lol. I know the difference between a coil over and a coil over sleeve. My opinion/statement still stands. I would never buy a coil over sleeve. Save up more and do it right and get a real coil over system or a lowering spring and shock combo. In the end you will do it the right way so why do it twice and throw money away?

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Lol. I know the difference between a coil over and a coil over sleeve. My opinion/statement still stands. I would never buy a coil over sleeve. Save up more and do it right and get a real coil over system or a lowering spring and shock combo. In the end you will do it the right way so why do it twice and throw money away?
Personalaly I prefere a sleeve. The strut goes bad you replace the strut. The spring goes bad replace the spring. With a 1 peace you need to replace the hole thing witch in return will cost more.

Koni yellow/gc combo is tried n proven. I know people that prefere them over ff type 1s. But in your defense a high end coiliver is the best but in my case cost more then what I paid for my car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
...But in your defense a high end coiliver is the best but in my case cost more then what I paid for my car...
Just because you got the car for cheap doesn't justify buying cheap parts. Not saying ground control is a cheap brand per say but you can't use that kind of thinking when you want to modify a vehicle as a hobby. You aren't the only one that thinks that way unfortunately. It is VERY common and not just reserved for civics.

I picked up my 5th gen sedan for $2200. If I used that kind of thinking, I wouldn't even have touched it. The mods I have done, although minor, have easily gone over that initial price.

If everyone thought that way there would be no high power builds, no show cars, no turbo builds, no swaps that are high cost on account of never being done before, no sick wheels, no fresh "professional" paint jobs, etc.