lowering question .

2k5civic

i hate imports...! siiike
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have new tokico shocks but no camberkit..

my question is before i do it, will my car look nyce just on a rear drop 1.5 and 2 inch in the front. ?? or should i just 1.5 inch both front and rear .. til i get my camber kit.. ? then i will do 2.5 inn the front and 2inch in the back .what do you guys think.??

Mangan

5+ Year Member
This is my opinion, but im no expert. When i got my car i dropped it 3'' in the front and back. The back generally sits higher than the front, if you want your car to be "level" i suggest dropping the back .5'' more than the front. If not, your car will jsut ride at a tilt like everyone else. As for the camber kit, i drove for about 9 months before having to get mine. But i did brutally murder all my tires. Experts have told me that anything under a 2'' drop should get a camber kit sometime, but isnt necessiary off the bat. If youre only planning on 1.5 and 2'' drops, then i would say that you should put one on eventually but immediately is not required. I eventually used a SPC camber kit which cost me around 100 bucks and is simple to install. Works perfect, and havent had problems since. Also, make sure you get your car alligned after you get the camber kit, thats a must.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had my car dropped 1.5 in front and 1.2 in rear, and the rear sits lower than the front for some reason :/ Anyway, I have a question about camber kit too. It's only for the rear, right? Would it rub the fenderwell when it hits a bump? I really don't know anything about camber kit other than the fact that it corrects the wheels to stand straight.

Mangan

5+ Year Member
The camber, simply put is the angle of the wheel. If you see the low ryder civics that dont have camber kits you will see the rear tires towing out. This causes the inside of the tire to rub, which will eventually lead to you needing new rubber. If you go to skunk2 or any other big brand you will see that their camber kits look like a horseshoe shaped thing. This is not what ours look like. When my camber kit arrived it came in a tiny box. In the front it was simply a bolt about 1.5'' long, a couple washers and nuts for the end. In the rear it was a new control arm. Ill find out more. It looks pretty simple and gets the job done. Your car shouldnt rub the fenderwell on that kind of drop. I had a 3'' drop and 300 pounds of audio equiptment in my trunk and still didnt rub

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm.. I dunno how you did a 3" drop because with 1.2" drop in rear, my rear wheels are tilted inward and with part of the tires inside of the fenderwell. That's why I asked..

hatchoo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pineapples said:
I had my car dropped 1.5 in front and 1.2 in rear, and the rear sits lower than the front for some reason :/ Anyway, I have a question about camber kit too. It's only for the rear, right? Would it rub the fenderwell when it hits a bump? I really don't know anything about camber kit other than the fact that it corrects the wheels to stand straight.
you can buy a camber kit for the front and rear, but most of us here just bought the front since you can do the "washer-trick" for the rear. i have the old Skunk2 camber kits for the front and it made a hole in my engine bay.

2k5civic

i hate imports...! siiike
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually guys i mis typed it.. im doing a 2inch drop in the front and adn the 1.5 inch drop in the rear since the rear of the 7th gen civics fender is lower than the front.. hope this is better to understand. . i fugre that since the drop is not more than 2inches that the camber kit will not be necessary?? so all im wondering is will this be a nyce drop .. remember im lowering my car on stock 99 si rims. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2k5civic said:
actually guys i mis typed it.. im doing a 2inch drop in the front and adn the 1.5 inch drop in the rear since the rear of the 7th gen civics fender is lower than the front.. hope this is better to understand. . i fugre that since the drop is not more than 2inches that the camber kit will not be necessary?? so all im wondering is will this be a nyce drop .. remember im lowering my car on stock 99 si rims. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
you should get a camber kit when you drop your car, this will prevent tire wear and possibly any mis-unfortunate event. technically you could drop your car without the camber kit, but you should get an alignment (as you should always when you lower your car) to see how far off you are from factory specs. if you're within the range, you should be okay, if not, you need a kit.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
people say you don't have to get it if you're less than 2 inches.... but I still recommend it if you like to get the maximum use out of your tires.

and 2.25 f and 2.0 r is what I have and it eliminated all wheel gap.

You will still have a little bit of gap with yours, but it won't be bad.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
omg what the hell is wrong with my car, everyone has 2" drop and mine isn't even close to 2" drop and I can't even see the gap

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dunno man.. but it doesnt sound like a bad problem to have.. lol.

It could be your shocks, which shocks are you riding on.. and are they blown? =oP

It also could be that you have 18" wheels and low profiles. That may have helped fill up the gap some.