Lowering Spring Install

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My friend and I are planning to do my lowering spring install ourselves. I know I'll need a spring compressor, and that the front suspension is not that hard to get to, but I've heard the rear suspension can be a real pain in the ass. Have any of you installed your own suspension and how did it go? I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this myself.

oh, the car is a 1995 EX Coupe

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as you have an Air Gun and a Spring Compressor you should be straight. I installed coil-overs on my old Civic and it wasn't too difficult.
The main problem was some bolts not loosening...that's why I STRONGLY suggest you get an air gun...

exoin

STi Driver
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Air gun wont help on the rear if its too corroded. Torch will help it come off but only if you know what you're doing with a torch.

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, I'm pretty good with a torch, I just need to locate one in that case

UnitZero

First Child
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
its only one god damn bolt for the back...but it seems like a gorilla torqued it down though.

Zeo

CCSC #41
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i recently (last week) did a lowering spring install and it was simple. you wil need spring compressors to take the springs off but you dont need the spring compressors on when dropping out the shock. The rear ones arent difficult at all, just peel back the carpet in the boot and loosen the two bolts either side not the centre one, then take the wheel off and remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock. i personally recommend taking off the bolt nearest the wheel on the arm that is attached to the strut because it makes everything easier. If you cant get the bottm shock bolt to budge then dont cut it off just drop the whole of the lower arm out. Once out you need to put the spring compressors on then undo the larger bolt and the top (note you have to put an allen key in the middle bit) take the old spring out new one on and reverse the steps. If you do remove the bolt nearest the wheel on the lower arm though to get the bolt back in you have to twist the arm, we did it using a spanner and pulling it so it twisted, if you lay right below the place the bolt is meant to be going through you can see which way it needs to be twisted and remember to tighten all bolts once its back on its full weight. erm if you want ne picctures ask and ill post them and if you have any queries about the front just ask

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pics would be great, doesn't sound as bad as I thought, and my friend has an airlift in his shop, so getting it off the ground won't be a problem at all

Zeo

CCSC #41
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i couldnt get the acctual pictures atm so i have created a diagram (not brilliant but im proud 8) ) hopefully this will illustrate what im trying to say until i can get the acctually images. please dont laugh

any questions??

Zeo

CCSC #41
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol im glad i used them i wouldnt want to see that spring flying off the shock that could hurt alot

Spencey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, no kidding, I'd like to see someone compress a spring without one, and manage to not hurt themselves

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by SpenceyVTEC
yeah, no kidding, I'd like to see someone compress a spring without one, and manage to not hurt themselves
Just put one of your wheel on top of the strut and spring, have someone step on it, cover the front of the bolt with a cloth or so, and shoot it into a carboard box. LOL... ghetto, but it'll work. I use spring compressors though, for just $10, it's a lot more safe.

And if you were dropping it, the springs are usually shorter and wouldn't need to be compressed as much as the stock. You can usually just slip it on back on the struts most of the times.

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by SiGSR
Just put one of your wheel on top of the strut and spring, have someone step on it, cover the front of the bolt with a cloth or so, and shoot it into a carboard box. LOL... ghetto, but it'll work. I use spring compressors though, for just $10, it's a lot more safe.

And if you were dropping it, the springs are usually shorter and wouldn't need to be compressed as much as the stock. You can usually just slip it on back on the struts most of the times.
:werd: