Lowering

swh969

5+ Year Member
I own a 2001 Civic EX and I am looking to lower it. I wanted to get a coilover kit but was hearing that when you lower it you also need to replace the struts? Any truth to this?

Thanks
SWH

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You dont have to, but you should.

CenZ

5+ Year Member
you need to replace the springs not the struts, but you should change the struts too.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
ive been riding on my factory struts for about 4 yrs

tragiclude875

5+ Year Member
yeah i was also curious bout this. wat is this lowest u can go on stock strut and be safe??? with no prob. also wat is a good brand of springs??

CenZ

5+ Year Member
1.7-2.0 is really as low as the struts will go. i put a 2" drop on my oems and in a matter of 3 months i blew all four. lol ive had them on my hp blues and no problems at all so far, if they blow then im getting coilovers lol

nuspeed sports and goldlines ive seen in person and have a great drop. i have goldlines.

mxcivic

5+ Year Member
this trhead really helps me, i already order my set of goldlines for my sedan.... thanks...

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's worth having aftermarket struts on any drop. no ricer bounce and my megan springs and tokico blues ride nice on the interstate...and they're pretty fun on backroads.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
it's worth having aftermarket struts on any drop. no ricer bounce and my megan springs and tokico blues ride nice on the interstate...and they're pretty fun on backroads.
4sure, h&r 1.75 ,and koni yellows

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you wont need to replace the stock shock, but you might have to replace/adjust camber. i had hNr sports with stock shocks and it was nice height/ride. eventually once your stock shocks go bad your ride will get bouncy. i recomend coilovers if your going to be adjusting your height often, but if you want one set height go w. just lowering springs.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what are some good low priced struts? i wanna drop my car lower soo imma need them kuz texas roads suck balls.

Chicohonda02

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what are some good low priced struts? i wanna drop my car lower soo imma need them kuz texas roads suck balls.
tirerack has good deals. i think you can get all 4 for like $300. Do a few yahoo searches or even at different shop websites.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
tirerack has good deals. i think you can get all 4 for like $300. Do a few yahoo searches or even at different shop websites.
what do you mean? all 4? you mean the springs??

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those wouldnt last in n. chicago, streets sucks ass.
dude i made a trip up to chi-town in june and all that construction on the Dan Ryan can lick my balls. That make me hate having a five speed...well for a minute at least.

but that also brings up a valid point about going for some better struts. my first civic (6th gen sedan was lowered 2.5 inches on stockers.....I hit a nasty bump on I-240 and blew the fronts...and before that i would always bottom out on bumpy roads. i replaced the lot with tokico's....and fell in love with my car all over agian. So naturally when it came time to drop the EM2 I waited untill I had everything....although the temptaion to put the springs on before I could afford struts was almost more than I could bear. But I managed and I'm glad I held out.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got my "blues" from Dezod for 365 shipped. non adjustable but screw it i'm not trying to build a race car.