ls swap into ek

Jason00

5+ Year Member
The motor is in.... the wire connection for the oil pump, which i was told was a crank sensor?? Is this the right info?? well anywho the plug on my ek harness is different than the plug on the B18b1... what do I do to make this work?

I believe the ek is a 2 wire plug and the LS is a 3 wire plug...

I also had to use the distributor from the d-series. there was 1 extra wire... anyone know where that is supposed to run to??

fearlesscivic

im doing the same swap to my car,what year is your ek,where is the oil pump plug located on your block

thebarberrick

i got a ls swap in a ek and there are a ton of clips not plugged. it runs fine and everything works.. ac too...i bought it real cheap like that

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
The crank position sensor is located on the front of the oil pump and the wire harness runs to the right side of it and snaps into a clip on one of the bolts. Kind of a shitty position to get to but not terrible.

If you running an OBDII ECU you will require the CKP sensor on the oil pump. All B series crank speed fluctuation sensors on the oil pumps are all 2 wire sensors.

However if you are going to use a OBD! sensor you wont need it as the Crank Position Sensor is built into the distributor as they are in all B Series.

As far as the distributor goes I dont know what the extra wire is. Just get a diagram of the distributor for the B18B1 and compare it to your D series model. See what the difference is so you will know if its necessary.

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
is the tps sensor important to the car starting,bc during my swap i broke it and it wont plug in
Yes. sad part is now locating a replacement TPS because you cant purchase them separately without buying the entire throttle body. So start scavenging your local junk yards. So dont waste your time calling the dealer or parts store.

fearlesscivic

alright so i just figured out the harness in my car is obd2 and the motor is obd1 but i put an obd2 dizzy on it.what other kind of wiring problems am i going to have

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
alright so i just figured out the harness in my car is obd2 and the motor is obd1 but i put an obd2 dizzy on it.what other kind of wiring problems am i going to have
None. Your fine, just get a OBD2A or B conversion harness to OBDI and your set.

FYI

B18B1 - OBDII
B18A1 - OBDi

Are you sure you have a B18B1?

Wax Hands

Smell my finger
Registered VIP
The motor is in.... the wire connection for the oil pump, which i was told was a crank sensor?? Is this the right info?? well anywho the plug on my ek harness is different than the plug on the B18b1... what do I do to make this work?

I believe the ek is a 2 wire plug and the LS is a 3 wire plug...

I also had to use the distributor from the d-series. there was 1 extra wire... anyone know where that is supposed to run to??
From what i have highlighted all indicates that you do have a B18B1 and it is OBDII.

Sounds like everything matches. Are you sure your not trying to plug up the incorrect connector.

Jason00

5+ Year Member
From what i have highlighted all indicates that you do have a B18B1 and it is OBDII.

Sounds like everything matches. Are you sure your not trying to plug up the incorrect connector.
that is very possible. I plugged in the civic ECU and it started fine, but plugged up the teggy ECU and it would engage the starter but the motor wouldnt crank. Now I know they are both OBD2, but does the OBD2a and OBD2B mean there are different connections in some places?? oh and with the civic ECU plugged up there was a CEL(obviously since its an auto ecu and I swapped it to 5 speed) and when I plugged the teggy ECU the CEL went away but wouldn't start....

My buddy is helping me do this as my first swap ever. He deals with EG's and this is the first EK he has ever worked on. So we're both sort of confused.

EGb19c

that is very possible. I plugged in the civic ECU and it started fine, but plugged up the teggy ECU and it would engage the starter but the motor wouldnt crank. Now I know they are both OBD2, but does the OBD2a and OBD2B mean there are different connections in some places?? oh and with the civic ECU plugged up there was a CEL(obviously since its an auto ecu and I swapped it to 5 speed) and when I plugged the teggy ECU the CEL went away but wouldn't start....

My buddy is helping me do this as my first swap ever. He deals with EG's and this is the first EK he has ever worked on. So we're both sort of confused.
You can't use an obd2a ecu with an obd2b harness and vice-versa. They will physically plug in, but the connections are very different.

fearlesscivic

its a b18b1,i have an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness already on it,the ecu is from vega racing,i found an obd2a to obd2b harness conversion kit,but it doesnt have the wires for the engine bay.do i need to get the harness for the engine bay or just the one under the dash