LS turbo vs vtec turbo

sodo

5+ Year Member
im doing a swap in my eg but im not sure what would be faster a between the 2 i would have the ls tranny on both

Sepheroth86

5+ Year Member
Just boost the LS... its easier to tune.

and after porting and big cams.. they end up about the same....

Look up the video of Cheesfrog vs. the Viper... LS turbo.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
X2, only reason why the VTEC heads add so much more power over the stock NON-VTEC heads is because the VTEC heads have better flow from factory. you do headwork to your LS head and you could end up with a better head than a VTEC head. but a bonus because when you have a VTEC head, you are limited to when your boost really helps you out, that being when your VTEC opens up. while with the LS head, you make power throughout and dont have to wait for the VTEC to kick in. i know in a turbo vehicle, well with the right amount of boost, it doesnt seem like a big difference but there is a difference between the powerbands of both. i dont know from experience but i have a friend that has done massive amounts of turbo vehilces, tuning i mean, he says that for less money you can get that LS pulling better numbers and all together be stronger for cheaper. so if your asking between which would be faster, ask yourself this, am i going to put work into the engine to help with the turbo? maybe someone else can give a better answer than mine though. so in other words, money can do anything but the LS would outperform the VTEC for less amount of money. sorry for the long post everyone

sodo

5+ Year Member
thanks man, i heard this from some one else, is just that im new to this so i got to do my research, when u say work on head do u mean "port and polish " or getting it milled or changing springs and valves??? is there a code for a late model b18 with ot thte vtec? and what would be the best head stock that i can use on the LS

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i myself would just stick with the head that you already have. no point in spending money on a different LS head meanwhile you already own one, with the money you save you can put towards the headwork. and as for headwork... its the whole thing. port and polish, your interested in turbo so i wouldnt mill it down. you can get bigger valves and springs and retainers, then you can get cams. now i dont exactly know who makes cams for the LS but im pretty sure that CROWER makes cams for it. another engine that is good for boosting from factory would be the F22 or the H23A1. its funny how all of these engines arent VTEC. lol. ive done my reasearch and my friend is really smart when it comes down to this, everytime i need help, i just go to him and ask him. why? because he has already boosted a few of his engines. hope this helps.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
imo if your going boost then why have VTEC? im not saying that it is not useful but there is no point. and also, if he already has the LS head then why go buy a different head? he can use that money that wouldve gone towards the VTEC head and put it into the LS head and make it better than the VTEC head. now dont get angry because the only reason why i say better is because the LS head would be fully done, as the VTEC head is still stock because he wouldnt have the money at the time to put into doing headwork to the VTEC head. but hey its your call, i would stick with the LS head. you dont need VTEC to be fast lol, well to an extent. i do like VTEC though.

sodo

5+ Year Member
i guess we got a winner the LS wins, well i think that or me i probably be better if i get the LS cause i couldnt tune the turbo on the vtec on my own. thanks fellashow much boost u guys think i can on a stock one??????

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as for boost and how much a stock LS can handle, that i dont know. i would assume you could put about 10lbs or so on it. i dont hate the VTEC head because those heads are amazing but when you have the LS head then why bother throwing money towards a different head. and you are right about the tuning part. i myself cant tune one bit haha. but hey good luck with the build. i was told that the LS engine can handle around 400whp stock but dont take my word for it because that is what i was "told".

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the LS should be able to handle 300 whp stock on a good tune......get a t3/t4 .57 trim, run around 15 psi, and tune it good.......

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Chaos is right, but i would go with the precision turbo. they put more power down with the exact PSI. if i can find a dyno sheet i will post it up

Sepheroth86

5+ Year Member
not to be an idiot but why do you say LS/VTEC? im not hating on the engine because i wouldnt mind having one myself. but please explain why you say not just an LS
:word: I agree with EG HATCH.

I have done a few LS/Vtec's (frankenstien) motors.

And while they were pretty fast, even my freshly rebuilt one leaked oil from the headgasket. They are prone to premature failure, require more maintenance.. etc.

You have to remember that the motor was never meant to be together... so problems are going to pop up more regularly.

I am not knocking the motor in any way.. I liked mine a lot, and they were pretty quick for the money.. but the whole reliablity issue haunts me.. there were a few times that I almost lost my job for being late, because something stupid broke on my LS/Vtec.

ItsAnEP3

Twin Turbo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a B18B that I can't wait to drop into my ej1!

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im not saying that i am the smartest person on this topic but i used to want to do an LS/VTEC and turbo it as well. the thing is that the only reason why i wanted to do the VTEC head swap was because it had better flow but luckily my friend inspired me to do other wise if i were to do a turbo setup. 300whp is 300whp. you can go ahead and do it.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well, well built is well built.
If these motors were done right they could be pretty reliable. I mean, it is just a motor, the motor done right does its job well. It runs but the only thing wrong is the bottom end still being an Ls bottom end. Mine personally doesn't leak any oil from the head gasket b/c we used the dowel pins and copper gasket sealer but those aren't anything to keep the oil from leaking. Also in this LS/vtec combo, you must use the Ls head gasket or you will leak oil on the front left side of the motor where the tranny meets the block. cheap horsepower will always destroy your motor b/c of no supporting mods. That would be like a body builder with supermodel legs if you cheapskate your way to make power. I don't know from experiance b/c I have always had built motors but I have seen a bunch of cheaply modded engines fail.