ls ?

superdave

5+ Year Member
Alright i'm wanting to go ahead and do a swap and i'm not loaded so i'm looking for a budget motor but i want quality. I'm still gonna build it i.e. pistons, rods, valves and everything and from what i've heard I don't trust doing ls/vtec but I do love vtec but most vtec motors are kinda steep and i've found really good deals on ls motors. So would anyone recommend the ls motor or should I just say f**k it and do ls/vtec or just a straight vtec motor? It would be n/a so later on down the road I might add a turbo. Help me out if you can i'm kinda up in the air with this.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im in the same boat as you buddy.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just swap in an ls until you have the $$ to properly throw a vtec head on it

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
My friend has a jackson for sale for an Ls with some other stuff with it.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a nls with a b16 trans will be just fine. you can also get a lightweight flywheel/upgraded clutch. if you are not planning on using a/c then i would recomend getting your crank pulley shaved. if you do these things your car should be pretty quick.

superdave

5+ Year Member
Shaving the crank pulley? Never heard of that what do you mean? Sorry all motors I ever really built were small block or big block domestic crap. Now I'm all about my honda even though I get alot of hate for it. But do y'all know anymore ways to make it quicker?

Mexican EK =)

b18b1 grrrr
5+ Year Member
i had an ls/vtec.....it blew up in 3 days lol...but dnt let that discourage you....now i have a b18b1...it pulls pretty hard just lacking top end power...b16 tranny even better

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I couldn't imagine an Ls with a type R trans, what a waste, the motor isn't worth as much as the trans.

VTEC_Civic97

5+ Year Member
i have an LS in my sixth gen now its pretty fun...to me its along the same lines as a b16 stock to stock...the torque helps make up for what it lacks in horsepower...i'm thinking of doing an LS/VTEC setup now but i'm still doin all my research to find out what exaclty are all the weak points so i can address them accordingly...hope that helps, good luck

DOHCCivic

White EJ1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a b16 in my 94 coupe i love the thing but i will be honest it is a dog off the line but from a roll its like none other i beat gsr and ls/vtec all day long from a roll but the ls/vtec is a nice motor but u gota do it right like oddeb707 said do an ls then save ur money and properly put a vtec head on but if u go all out vtec either do a b16, gsr, or even a type r but those are pricey

superdave

5+ Year Member
A question I've always wondered on ls/vtec. When you have a b16 head on a b18 block does anything change on the timing belt? Cuz its not an oe motor so does that change the belt? I just always wondered. Thanks for all the help guys

scuzz

5+ Year Member
I got lucky and bought an impounded 92 hatch with B18B1 installed for 260.00, and put the complete unit in my 93 hatch.
I love driving the car. It's so much more fun to drive than my D15B7 95 hatch. There's no comparison.
If you look around, there's cars at repo places, wrecker yards with unpaid storage, all kinds of stuff like that if you'll just look around your town.