lsd questionmu

hatchet

5+ Year Member
i was wondering i have a 96 civic hatch dx i think with the d16y7 and i was wondering how hard it is to install a limited slip diff and if anyone had a walkthrough for it and what brand would be best for a budget. im also wondering if my tranny is even stock . it shifts 1st -40 2nd 60 3rd 80 and so on im sure it is but that is pretty long gears what do i have to do to get power in 4th and 5th my car climbs like crazy through 1st 2nd and 3rd but when i hit fouth its like there is no end and it does not accelerate very well after that. is that normal for these cars or is something wrong.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not 100% sure but I think the z6 tranny has shorter gears. Don't quote me on that. Also a LSD is not a super hard install you just have to know a little more than changing oil or a flat tire. Or you an go the expensive way and change your final drives at a shop but either way man good luck.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you went to install an LSD it'd definitely be time to change around the gearing...

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the z6 tranny does have shorter gears. ive got the s20 tranny in my car and it originally came with the s40. all you gotta do for the swap is take the sensors off the s40 and pop em into the s20. shorter gears is soo much nicer than them long gears in the s40. and who the heck makes lsd's for d series trannys???

JosephColy

5+ Year Member
. it shifts 1st -40 2nd 60 3rd 80 and so on im sure it is but that is pretty long gears what do i have to do to get power in 4th and 5th my car climbs like crazy through 1st 2nd and 3rd but when i hit fouth its like there is no end and it does not accelerate very well after that.
sounds like you have the stock tranny for your motor/year model. my EX is the same way. the transmission was made for better economy so the 4th and 5th gears are much longer than the first 3.

hatchet

5+ Year Member
my first three in my car pulled on a 92 prelude with an h23 . but im tired of one leggers and long ass fouth and fifths is there any way to change those two gears but not the first three?. who makes lsds for the d trannys. does anyone know . i know someone does just not who any help would be appreciated.

Krossfya

5+ Year Member
i got a write-up on how to change S80 tranny into a LSD.
by swapping the lsd diff..
but it is in Dutch,,, i can try translating it,, or you can use a free internet provided translator
send me a pm with your email address and i can send you the word document with pics..
maybe some can translate it and post it up..

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
What? I thought that DX gear was like 1st-40 2nd-70 3rd-100somthing. The Ex was 1st 40 2nd 60 3rd 80. I had an HX and my 1st 40, 2nd 70, 3rd 110. It is weird but that is what I think. My cousin said that is 98 dx won't go past 100mph no matter how long he gun the gas. This is just what I think the gear is but someone can give it a thought.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As far a d-series LSDs you have to go aftermarket.

And yes, you can change just the fourth and fifth gears to be shorter.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What? I thought that DX gear was like 1st-40 2nd-70 3rd-100somthing. The Ex was 1st 40 2nd 60 3rd 80. I had an HX and my 1st 40, 2nd 70, 3rd 110. It is weird but that is what I think. My cousin said that is 98 dx won't go past 100mph no matter how long he gun the gas. This is just what I think the gear is but someone can give it a thought.
i hit 120 in my 97 dx civic :lol: ive never driven a civic with that kinda gearing. im in 4th by the time i hit 50 mph