Lubing Stock Shifter on '99 EX sedan?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My girs '99 Civic EX sedan has 72,000on it at 65 we replaced the manual tranny fluid with Redline MTL, it shifted GREAT after that and less grining geting into Reverse!! :D But now the shifter itself has gotten progresively stiffer. harder to push throgh the gates. I have used spray white lithium grease on teh linkages under the car. Is there a joint under teh shifetr boot I need to lube as well to get the shifter smooth again? :?:

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you lude the tranny where the shitf linkage meets.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like you need to grease teh ball on the shifter.

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha greasing the shifter... so thats what its called now

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shortlid said:
No, where is this linkage? Is it hard to get to? :?:
no, not at all riase the car allow the bars ffom the shifter to the tranny its right there.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DirtyD said:
haha greasing the shifter... so thats what its called now
nice :lol: , i used a motorcycle chain lube on mine, lasts ALOT longer than white lithium, just jack that b***h up and hit all the linkage points and it'll loosen up

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, worked for a while now WORSE!!!!

Ok, I jacked it up and put my girls '98 EX sedan with 74k on jack stands. I crawled under there and lubed ALL the shift linkages between the shifter bottom and the tranny. Was a fair abount of rust on the vibration damping "thingy" behind the shifter under the car. I guess the exhaust heat gets to it :evil: ? The I un screwed the arm rest and center console. Pulled it out cleaned all the old grease out and used multi-purpose grease on the ball part of the shifter bottom inside the car. I could not get to teh bottom part of teh ball cause there was this tight fitting rubber boot in the way?? Well it lossed up for awhile, then when the car warmed up it got EVEN stiffer betwwen third and fourth??? Seems like the shifter is smooth when you first drive in teh morining but as the exhust heats it up it starts to get stiff???? :evil: Anyone had this his happen with the stock shifter?? :?: ?

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like internal tranny issues.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i also agree that the issue may be beyond that of the linkage.... as long as its lubed up...and its not binding on anything.. then its probably beyond just the linkage

mxs

5+ Year Member
I had the same thing happen with my 99 ex couple about a year ago. The bushings at the base of the shifter were totally destroyed. I had them replaced and it was like new.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What bushing?

I don't think it is internal? Only has 57k of a girl driving it like a grandma, and I changed the tranny lube to redline MTL like 7,000 miles ago?

Which bushing teh hard plastic one just under the shifter ball? Under the car , the one that the vibration damper do-hicky is on? :?:

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its only happening between 3rd & 4th...? I still say it might be intrenal.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rey rey said:
its only happening between 3rd & 4th...? I still say it might be intrenal.
Most stiff geting into 3rd and 4th. But when it stiffens up it is the entire pattern even moving it around in the N area??? :?: Like all of a sudden after it is warmed up the shifter is stuck in pudding?

mxs

5+ Year Member
Dude, seriously, check out the bushings. I didn't do it myself so I can't tell you what to look for, but what you are describing is exactly what mine felt like before I had them replaced. Except mine was worst between 1st and 2nd, not 3rd and 4th.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mxs said:
Dude, seriously, check out the bushings. I didn't do it myself so I can't tell you what to look for, but what you are describing is exactly what mine felt like before I had them replaced. Except mine was worst between 1st and 2nd, not 3rd and 4th.
What bushings are you refering too? Are they behind the exhuast, when under the car?? I just tried AGAIN to lube the shifter with Liquid wrench and the shifter is now REAL STIFF!!:evil:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so this has been going on for over a year?

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honestly, I would jack the car up and drop the shifter out. Go buy some pro-thane or similar bushings, replace and lube them (the bushings that connect directly under the shifter) and then grease the ball of the shifter like you never want to have to do it again. I am 100% positive that this will solve your problem.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just got worse AFTER LUBE!!

Well the problem has been around for about a year but got MUCH worse when I used Liquid Wrench to lube the under car parts of the shifter. :(

Where can I get these pro-thane (polyurthane?) bushings?:D I have seen teh all metal ones and thyey look line they would put a lot of vibration into a daily driver!!:???: