LX vs. EX

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
Does anyone know the difference between the 02 Civic Ex and the 02 Civic Lx specific to the exhaust system (from the header to the down pipe to the tip)?

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
all i know is that its a whole different setup; since the Lx has the header/cat together and the EX doesnt. You should convert to the Ex setup and that way you'll have way more options for exhausts and header. That's what Im gonna be doing pretty soon..

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
So your saying a Ex header, down pipe, and cat back exhaust will fit on a Lx?
Yes, but you will have to get a cat. converter since the EX has the cat lower down than the LX. And also extend your o2 sensors in order to avoid CEL.

This a layout of how it would look...

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
Now the question is... Where do you find a catalytic converter that is CA approved. I have been all over the internet and calling auto part stores and nothing.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

jdrames

5+ Year Member
I've got the same question as you CaliCivic. dj_clever your posts have helped me out here a bit but I have a few more questions.

I have a 2001 Civic LX and just got the news that there is a crack in the exhaust manifold. And one of my friends suggested that I just change it all out with an headers. After much searching it seems the only way to do that is through using the EX headers. Hopefully you might be able to help me with a few questions.

If I got the Megan Racing EX headers/exhaust package would that take care of everything needed to change over a stock LX to the EX headers (basically would it take care of everything from headers to the poof-o-fumes from the back) ?

Just for Reference the following is included the the package:
Megan performance headers:
Dimension (Inlet/ outlet):
4-1 1 Piece
2.25" OD and 2" ID

Megan Racing high performance downpipe
2.25" inlet, 2.5" outlet, Total Length 36 3/4" with Two O2 Sensor Hole

Megan Racing's Cat-Back Exhaust (not sure if needed or if stock exhaust can be used)

Of course I would need to get a cat-converter on there somewhere in order to get it to pass inspection.

Of course I'm open for alternate product ideas as I really just dont know enough about the exhaust on the LX and how the conversions match up. So any help is appreciated.

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
I've got the same question as you CaliCivic. dj_clever your posts have helped me out here a bit but I have a few more questions.

I have a 2001 Civic LX and just got the news that there is a crack in the exhaust manifold. And one of my friends suggested that I just change it all out with an headers. After much searching it seems the only way to do that is through using the EX headers. Hopefully you might be able to help me with a few questions.

If I got the Megan Racing EX headers/exhaust package would that take care of everything needed to change over a stock LX to the EX headers (basically would it take care of everything from headers to the poof-o-fumes from the back) ?

Just for Reference the following is included the the package:
Megan performance headers:
4-1 1 Piece
2.25" OD and 2" ID

Megan Racing high performance downpipe
2.25" inlet, 2.5" outlet, Total Length 36 3/4" with Two O2 Sensor Hole

Megan Racing's Cat-Back Exhaust (not sure if needed or if stock exhaust can be used)

Of course I would need to get a cat-converter on there somewhere in order to get it to pass inspection.

Of course I'm open for alternate product ideas as I really just dont know enough about the exhaust on the LX and how the conversions match up. So any help is appreciated.
The setup that you are thinking of sounds pretty good to me, and yes the items that you have listed abpove will be what you need in order to convert to teh EX setup. you will also need to extend your o2 sensor wires in order to get them to reach the downpipe. As far as the stock exhaut i would recommend getting a cat-back, using the stock EX exhaust would not really help you at all since you are going to be runing 2.25 piping all the way thru.

Hope this helps you out! Keep us updated on your progress..:thumbs up

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Yeah I ended up staying up much later last night looking more into the subject.
I've changed the setup a bit so heres what I've got on order:

Downpipe / Cat Converter
Random Tech: EX Downpipe with HighFlow Cat converter built in part- 182-22018

Exhaust
JDM N1 style EX Catback Exhaust

Headers
Megan Racing Stainless Steel Header Part- MR-SSH-HC117

Plus O2 sensor extention cabling

And if I understand everything correctly that'll take care of headers all the way back to exhaust fumes.

Total price being about: $500
Which is one hell of a savings over the $1700 the dealership quoted for replacement of the cracked exhaust manifold. Toss in another $200 if the o2 sensors were bad and I would have been sitting at a $1900 service fee.

Much cheaper and better for the long run I think to just convert to an EX exhaust system.

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
Yeah I ended up staying up much later last night looking more into the subject.
I've changed the setup a bit so heres what I've got on order:

Downpipe / Cat Converter
Random Tech: EX Downpipe with HighFlow Cat converter built in part- 182-22018

Exhaust
JDM N1 style EX Catback Exhaust

Headers
Megan Racing Stainless Steel Header Part- MR-SSH-HC117

Plus O2 sensor extention cabling

And if I understand everything correctly that'll take care of headers all the way back to exhaust fumes.

Total price being about: $500
Which is one hell of a savings over the $1700 the dealership quoted for replacement of the cracked exhaust manifold. Toss in another $200 if the o2 sensors were bad and I would have been sitting at a $1900 service fee.

Much cheaper and better for the long run I think to just convert to an EX exhaust system.
Yeah this should take care of everything; starting from the header all the way to the exhaust tip... and it will be WAY cheaper than going to a dealership. Im planning on doing this pretty soon too, but i decided to first go with a suspension upgrade and other cosmetic stuff...lol

Keep it up :thumbup: and post pics when you get started with the fun!..hahaha

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Yep I plan on taking a small pile of pictures just so that I can do a write up with pictures for anyone who might want/need some help in doing the same process. This board has helped a ton with getting me the info I needed so I want to give a little something back. That and it's looking like this Civic might take over my Z for pet project.. Parts cost are a lot more reasonable.

CaliCivic - I'll def be updating this post with how everything works out. I cant imagine any problems coming up with my setup, but this is the first header-to-exhaust change over I've done so who knows. My pains can be your gains lol. And I'm sure a few helping pics can guide you in deciding how to attack your project.
As for the part you linked to, I dont know anything about it, but it could be an easy buy/fix if it works, but it doesn't state that it's specific to the LX Civic which makes me a little leary. I'm always leary now that I know about the little issue with the LX downpipe/exhaust not matching up with EX headers do to slight height difference. You might be able to contact their cust support and ask if it does infact match up with the LX exhaust without any further modifications.
Also the idea (at least for me) for changing to a full EX exhaust system is that if in the future something does crack I can save a pile of money replacing just a header vs a manifold or header with cat-converter. And if the price range is running the same it just makes more sense this way. I mean if some how a header would crack (not that it should again) but if it did, it's a $150 max repair. But that is just my thinking and I've been called crazy on more then one occassion lol.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
$1700?!? I know the converter costs about $600, so there is over a grand of markup and labor. Even if you paid $50/hr for labor, that job only takes a pro an hour, maybe 2. My brother and I changed my header in like 3 or 4 hours and we never did any job like that before. We took our time and double checked everything. And damn near rounding off a bolt did not help either. We spent 20 minutes on that one bolt. It definitely seems like a good investment. Better performing parts for a fraction of the money. My recommendation is to get all new hardware. If your car is an 01, like mine, it probably has some rusty bolts under there. And you might need to buy some better gaskets. The ones that Megan sent me were crap. Good luck.

wildcatgt6

5+ Year Member
01 civic lx

Hey guys, I'm having about the same issues with fitment of what parts from what systems. I currently have an aftermarket 2.5' header and the whole 2.5' cat-back system that are for the lx model. Now i just need either a test pipe from the ex or lx i don't know, or i guess go get a 2.5' test pipe made to fit in the remaining section for the header to where the cat-back starts.
Any suggestion or ideas?

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I'm having about the same issues with fitment of what parts from what systems. I currently have an aftermarket 2.5' header and the whole 2.5' cat-back system that are for the lx model. Now i just need either a test pipe from the ex or lx i don't know, or i guess go get a 2.5' test pipe made to fit in the remaining section for the header to where the cat-back starts.
Any suggestion or ideas?
If you say the header and the cat back are designed to LX, shouldn't they fit fine?

wildcatgt6

5+ Year Member
Well yes they fit, but no your missing the point, the header and catback are not your full exhaust, you have some sort of test pipe or down pipe to connect the two.

wildcatgt6

5+ Year Member
read the post i was asking for suggestions on where to get and what to do about it because no one makes them for lx/dx.