LX vs. EX

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
The configuration from what I understand is Header - Downpipe with Catalytic Converter - Cat-back Exhaust System.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
=wildcatgt6;2429687]read the post i was asking for suggestions on where to get and what to do about it because no one makes them for lx/dx.[/QUOTE]

You shouldve of gone with the EX setup..less hassles..;)

wildcatgt6

5+ Year Member
Yeah i probably should have gone with the ex setup but i didn't realize that until i had the parts. I will probably just go to a muffler shop and have them make me the downpipe without a cat.

Also right know i have the header bolted on to the stock exhaust and after a few hours of driving the check engine light went on. Any way to correct this?

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
Yeah i probably should have gone with the ex setup but i didn't realize that until i had the parts. I will probably just go to a muffler shop and have them make me the downpipe without a cat.

Also right know i have the header bolted on to the stock exhaust and after a few hours of driving the check engine light went on. Any way to correct this?
If the header doesnt come with the cat converter ur gonna need to get one, in order to get rid of the CEL. If the header does have the cat converter connected then maybe one of the o2 sensors must not be plugged in right.

wildcatgt6

5+ Year Member
As of right now the new header i put on has two ports for o2 and there both connected, i guess i could try unplugging them and replugging them in. The new header obviously doesn't have a cat and once i get the new down pipe that probably wont have a cat either, so does that mean i will always have a CEL

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Well the parts have started to come in. I'll take a few pics here tonight or tomorrow for post.
As for the the few posts above. The headers with the o2 sensors if its for the LX model your going to throw the CEL light because simply put there is no catalytic converter to scrub the exhaust before the second o2 sensor. Best bet (depending on what your using the car for) is to get a down pipe and catalytic converter and go to a muffler shop and have them weld it in-place. Then extend the second o2 sensor so that it reads after the cat converter. Of course from my understandings you can use defoulers to trick the 2nd o2 sensor, but in the end you'll probably end up failing emissions if your state has them.

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
Well the parts have started to come in. I'll take a few pics here tonight or tomorrow for post.
As for the the few posts above. The headers with the o2 sensors if its for the LX model your going to throw the CEL light because simply put there is no catalytic converter to scrub the exhaust before the second o2 sensor. Best bet (depending on what your using the car for) is to get a down pipe and catalytic converter and go to a muffler shop and have them weld it in-place. Then extend the second o2 sensor so that it reads after the cat converter. Of course from my understandings you can use defoulers to trick the 2nd o2 sensor, but in the end you'll probably end up failing emissions if your state has them.
YUp..and probably see a change in your mpg..

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
JD,
I am really interested in seeing those pics. I am starting to order my parts now. The only concern I have is distance down from the header and distance back to the end of the car. Mine is a sedan not a coupe. I have been told that the distance is the same. I guess we will see.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good luck can't wait to see pictures.

as far as dealership cat prices go, I have an 20 ex, I was quoted 1100 dollars. I asked the dude if it was made of gold and made me a greek god. Muffler shop FTW!! LOL

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Bah sorry guys, everything got delayed with a bunch of stuff going on these past few weeks. Pictures are getting taken right now. So they will be up in a few mins :-P and then next weekend it gets tossed on the lift (uncle owns a garage) and I'll be taking some pictures of the process. Ok will post again here shortly.

**Edited 9.06pm EST Sorry no pics tonight. Going to the hospital, sister-in-law is giving birth and my wife has requested I join them so I will follow up in the morning hours.

Last edited:

dj_clever

5+ Year Member
^ Want some pics! lol. I decided to hold off on doing this, and got me some coilovers instead. Keep us updated man! haha

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
I can't wait to see some pics. I have gotten some of my parts in (header and high flow cat). Just waiting on the cat-back system. Where did you go to get the O2 sensors? I am also looking at the distance the header and cat take to get to the bottom of the car. Please let me know. I will also start posting some pics hopefully soon. I wish I had a lift :P

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Finally all completed.
Also just as a note it passed Maryland safety inspection, and has not thrown any CEL lights.

First the parts.

1) B-pipe w/ cat converter

2) Cat-back piece one

3) Cat-back piece 2 w/ resonator

4) Cat-back piece 3 (muffler)

Installed on car Images.

1) Headers

2) Bottom of headers / connection to b-pipe

3) Cat Converter

4)Cat Converter / O2 Sensor / Start of mid-pipe (cat-back exhaust)

5) More Cat-back exhaust system

6) Cat-back w/ resonator

7) Cat-Back w/ muffler

A quick note about the install. Everything went fine EXCEPT the b-pipe with cat converter. the problem was that the cat converter would actually press directly up against the sway bar under the car and when it did that it would throw the alignment off for the rest of the exhaust system. However we took it down the a muffler shop and they were able to cut and move the cat converter back a few inches and it then matched up perfectly and only cost $40. Though if you had the tools yourself you could do it yourself. But all in all a cheap fix. So i'm not sure if the sway bar is different in the EX models but for the LX to EX conversion it does need to be moved a bit back (I advise back as moving it forward would run it into the oil pan and make reaching up for the oil filter a pain in the ass.

jdrames

5+ Year Member
Actually I kept the silencer in there as I didn't want another loud car. So it's about the same audio level as the stock exhaust. And the silencer actually keeps the heat off of the body and keeps it from melting :-P But all in all a good little install. I might take the silencer out just to see what it would sound like. But i keep all the noise on the 350Z (sorry civic lovures)

CaliCivicLx

Respect the ride
5+ Year Member
Looks good. I will be doing the same install soon. So we will see if we have the same problems with the cat. I've got all my parts in (finally) and will soon make the intall. There are some minor adjustments to my parts that I will be making (like a different muffler tip. the one I bought has a 4.25'' tip. Too big for my taste so I'm going to be modifiying it to somthing I like, maybe a 3.25'' or 3.5'').
Anyway.
Good job, and thanks for the pics it will help with my install.

ferio3d

5+ Year Member
Megan downpipe

The Megan hi flow downpipe works great, I had it on my old Em2 EX but I swaped it out when I traded my car in. Now the pipe is just collecting dust in my shed. My old setup was DC header, Megan downpipe, and the DC twin canister (TCS) exhaust, I noticed a great increase in tourque and a very deep sound.