1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

"Maggie" - 1986 Magna - Maintenance Log

Discussion in 'Non Civic Builds / Show Offs' started by ctag, Sep 4, 2017.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. ctag

ctag fill it with wires! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Please meet Maggie (working title), the 1986 Honda Magna VF700C:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent this past summer perusing craigslist, drumming up Honda Shadows and Goldwings while slowly building a budget for my next bike. Then, one day I read about someone's Honda Magna. I learned about how they're a slice of history as the scene starters for muscle bikes; how they exist not just as cruisers, but as sport cruisers with overdrive; and how they're fatally flawed with low oil pressure to the cams, requiring meticulous attention to maintenance intervals or aftermarket kits to obtain reliability.
    I was hooked.

Some time passed, and then I finally found the OTP (one true post) on craigslist: a Magna owner who's text description expounded not speed or horsepower, but reliable care and clean stock status. I had to have it, and one anxious week after contacting the seller, a friend and I drove up to Tennessee and met this bike's single original owner, Billy.

The Magna was in unbelievably good condition; way better than the craigslist pictures. Billy even purchased a new battery just to be sure everything was set for me to ride back. Dumbfounded by his generosity and my good fortune, I gladly bought the bike and brought it home. Riding it back on the highway was nerve racking, but also one of my favorite trips in any vehicle to date. This bike just flies, and the engine purrs, and there's less frame vibration than my old Virago 250. The seat is comfortable, the brakes are reliable, the suspension is perfect, and the speedometer works! No Honda I've owned until now has had a working speedometer!

So now I'm starting a maintenance thread, and looking forward to this next chapter of vehicle ownership :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. ctag

So the first thing I did after buying this beautiful bike was park under a tree and get sap all over it :slap: Washed it this morning and used some leather cleaner and protector on the vinyl seats. Also bought a portable cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. ctag

Today was wash and wax day. Everything cleans up nicely :D

I've put about 200 miles on the bike. Getting about 75 miles to a tank, and 33 mpg city with non-ethanol fuel. Interstate riding nearly blows me off the seat, so I need a small windshield or something to try that again.

The portable cover is a lot more difficult to install and remove than I wanted, so I'm not sure I'll be carrying it around to toss on the bike at the office parking lot or anything.

I've been seriously procrastinating on doing the basic maintenance that comes with a new used vehicle. The bike's just in such great shape already that I keep putting it off.. I need to:
    • Change oil/filter
    • Check tires for slow leaks
    • Check air filter
    • Check driveshaft oil
    • Check coolant mix
    • Check front fork pressure
    Longer term stuff:
    • Test all of the TRAC anti-dive settings and pick one
    • Replace front brakes (which are in new condition, but squeal - probably because they're old and oxidized?)
    • Repair/replace front left blinker stem
    • Get an LED license light (to draw less battery power in park mode)

4. ctag

Almost had my first accident today.

Last weekend I went with a friend and picked up some new riding gear, but the gloves I got were too big, so today I went to exchange them. The road up to the store is a 45mph highway that people do 60 on, and there's been some construction going on for the past year, so I should have been a little more cautious. But I got up to an intersection and tried to stop too fast, heard an alarmingly loud screeching sound, and only realized that it was coming from me as the bike began to slide sideways out from under me. By the time I'd processed enough to let go of the brakes and try to get the wheels spinning again, the bike had already stopped and I'd reflexively put my foot out and kept it from hitting the ground (without twisting an ankle or something). So pure luck all around. I think there was some dirt or sand on the road from construction that let the wheels lock up so easily, but that doesn't make me blameless for applying the brakes so forcefully and suddenly.

5. ctag

Went to my first car meet today =)

Last night a friend helped me laser etch a little info tile for the bike:
    [​IMG]

At the show:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and the Magna won Best Bike!
    [​IMG]

6. ctag

New brakes, semi-sintered type:
    [​IMG]

And new K&N air filter:
    [​IMG]

The air filter is model HA-1210 and takes 10mL of oil when being cleaned. I hate how hard that information is to find for K&N filters :angryred:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. ctag

Changed the final drive oil. New stuff is Royal Purple 75W-90. I want to change it again soon, just to really flush out the glitter that was floating around.. And because there's still plenty left in the bottle.

The cap/nut on the final drive is too easy to round off :cry: Maybe I just buy a dozen and replace them every time I change the oil :rolf:

8. ctag

Replaced a broken side-cover grommet today:
    [​IMG]

And bought some overpriced OEM fuel line to replace the rotted stuff on the petcock:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently you need 5.5mm ID line, not 1/4 inch.

The brakes still need 200 miles or so to be fully broken in. I haven't been riding much due to weather and the carbs still being out of whack. Speaking of which, the carbs still need to be tuned to work with the new air filter. And one/both of the wheels is squealing in a way that makes me think the bearings need to be pulled and re-packed with grease..

9. ctag

So when I replaced the air filter, this bolt got totally chewed up:
    [​IMG]

Today I installed an OEM replacement:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 9:33 PM