Magnetic Oil Drain Plug

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I was looking online and came across this magnetic oil drain plug... said to attract metallic particles floating freely inside ur engine due to normal wear, blablabla. They have one for trannys too. So you guys think it's worth it? It's only about $20-$30 shipped. In theory it makes sense to me, but are there actuall s**t in there that my Mobil 1 oil filter doesnt get?

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yes. it's nice to have. but not worth it if you can barely fill up on gas, ya feel me? I hear you can buy them at your auto parts store, but they might just be junk or the magnet is weak.

frankzcrx

5+ Year Member
i like them, extra insurance and it does pick up some dirty bits of metal flakes on them from time to time depending on the age of the motor and transmission...

chinkskater

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'd get it, when i broke in my motor, it really helpd with the metal shavings from normal break in i did. good insurnace to have

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
got both oil/tranny magnetic plugs. work amazing. didnt really think they would do too much, but when i pulled my oil plug out, it was a crazy to see all the bits of shavings. tranny had a little bit

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Are tranny shavings normal?

I hear shops use that as an excuse to scam customers. They just tried to use it as an excuse for an expensive repair on a friend.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stock trans bolt on 7thgens is megnetic. it had alot of metal first 20k miles, now almost nothing. so theyre prolly good for breakins. after that, you shouldnt have lots of metal anyway

chunktwo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a filtermag on my car and my wife's car:
http://www.filtermag.com/

i originally had one of the magnetic drain plugs.. but one time when i removed it.. and was cleaning off the gunk the magnet pulled it. it was not some cheap one from an auto store. i actually picked up a spoon one cause it was cheap. but i did not expect the magnet to come off so easily, as i was not trying to pull the magnet off.. after that i was worried that the magnet may come loose while it was driving. so i swapped it back to the stock drain bolt. not sure even if the magnet came off while driving, if that would cause damage, but i did not want to take that risk of having a magnet in there.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just so you know, you can get a magnetic drain plug from your local advance auto for $2-$3.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eheheheeh Rolla, i just noticed you only got about 100hp.... me too. aaaaaahhahahahha. Not for long thou. As for the drain bolts, i had seen that price range online but i guess according to you it's cheaper at the store. Imma get myself one this weekend.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, i spotted it over the weekend and made me wonder why people are paying $20 for one.

They're relatively cheap and they should do the job.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bought mine from password jdm and the thread size was wrong :???:
my lazy ass didnt return them and now im stuck with two magnetic drain plugs and i have no clue what car they go to

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i bought mine from password jdm and the thread size was wrong :???:
my lazy ass didnt return them and now im stuck with two magnetic drain plugs and i have no clue what car they go to
Measure the threads and do ur research then sell'em or just call Password:JDM and ask them.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i got mine from passwordjmd and it works great

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
put one in my oil pan when i built my motor...made me feel safer

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought some skunk2 ones and they were too long for my d16's oil pan, but they fit my dad's crv's oil pan just fine :what: