Make sure timing is correct when replacing cam seal?

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Hey everyone,

I am going to do my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, crank and cam seals for the first time on my 96 civic with a d16y7. I am fairly sure it has a y8 head. My question is this, When I remove the cam pulley to get to the cam seal. Is there a trick to making sure it stays in the correct position? I saw videos online of people replacing the cam seal but they do not show how they romove and put on the cam pulley. Once you loosen the cam pulley bolt does the cam automatically move around alot? Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but I cannot afford to have it done...and hey you have to learn somehow!

Thanks alot for your help guys!

milagro33

5+ Year Member
I forgot to mention its a manual transmission. I dont think it matters but just incase

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On the camshaft there is a woodruff key that locks the cam gear onto the camshaft in one position only. As long as you don't rotate the camshaft and don't lose the key you'll be just fine. You're not taking the cam out of the head are you?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The camshaft wont move because it is still being held down by the rocker arm assembly.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ this. I forgot about that on single slammers.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Not taking out the cam. So I am planning on leaving the timing belt on. Making sure the cam pulley is at top dead center, then loosening the cam pulley bolt all the way. Making sure its at tdc again. Then taking off the belt and pulley to get to the cam seal is his correct? I was told the cam could be under pressure from a spring inside and it could move the cam when I loosen the bolt.. by the way thanks alot for your help guys!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

milagro33

5+ Year Member
I think.of get myself in a lot of trouble taking the cam out. I have a question though. The repair book says the crank pulley bolt is torqued at 14.ft lbs when putting it on. I thought that sounded weird as its supposedly super hard to get off. Any info on correct torque specs? Couldnt.find.it

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe it should be up around 120ft lbs.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
14ft lbs is what a cam gear bolt is torqued to.

milagro33

5+ Year Member
Is using penetrating oil on the pulley bolt a good idea?