Manual Trans fluid questions.

Hondaman4ever

Hi.

Thinking about changing the transmission fluid in my manual '00 Civic -bought the car only a few months back- and I'm wondering if you guys recommend anything other than Honda's MTF -like GM Synchromesh fluid- for smoother shifting, not that the shifting is hard but wondering if there's something that can make it shift even smoother. How about adding something like Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the tranny once I put the new fluid in?

The other question is, I want to change the clutch fluid -in the reservoir- because it looks old and dirty and just wondering if there's a proper way to drain. Is it syphoned out or how....?

Thank you.

CivicEx'00

Hi.

Thinking about changing the transmission fluid in my manual '00 Civic -bought the car only a few months back- and I'm wondering if you guys recommend anything other than Honda's MTF -like GM Synchromesh fluid- for smoother shifting, not that the shifting is hard but wondering if there's something that can make it shift even smoother. How about adding something like Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the tranny once I put the new fluid in?

The other question is, I want to change the clutch fluid -in the reservoir- because it looks old and dirty and just wondering if there's a proper way to drain. Is it syphoned out or how....?

Thank you.
From what I've heard, if the transmission fluid hasn't been properly maintained in the past, changing the fluid can do more harm than good. If you have all the service records then go for it, but if you're not having problems id hate for you to cause some. Correct me if I'm wrong because this always seemed strange to me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hondaman4ever

Thank you guys for the replies.
CivicEX, I don't have any records but I know this car once belonged to a mechanic. I don't see what the harm is in changing the fluid if it's never been changed before. Couldn't find anything recommending against it. It shifts fine but I was trying for a smoother "crispier" shifting.

I guess I'll just stick to Honda MTF.

Thanks.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
@Hondaman4ever I've used Synchromesh.. I like it better than Honda MTF. Worked great with my Civic.

I use Amsoil in my RSX currently.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It shifts fine but I was trying for a smoother "crispier" shifting.
Also check your shift linkage bushings, they can be responsible for the shifter feeling loose.

On my 98 civic, synchromesh MTF made shifting a little smoother, but I feel like it's a moot point. Supposedly oils that make shifting glossy also increase wear on the synchros, but I doubt it matters unless the the driver hard shifts all the time.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also check your shift linkage bushings, they can be responsible for the shifter feeling loose.
Absolutely this as well. For me, it was the bushing that held the shifter to the linkage. That wore out, so until that was replaced, it was all jiggly and stuff haha

Hondaman4ever

OK. Thanks again for the replies. I am going to do a flush and try GM Synchro FM. I found it on Amazon (USA) for about $11/quart but I'm wondering if there is a place -like in stores- in the US where they sell it for the same price or around it. I'm in canada but I'm close to the border.

Thanks ctag. I know I'd read something about it (the s**t linkage bushings) a few months back but could not remember what it was called again but now that you mentioned it I know it's the part that I should check out -well, I"m not a mechanic and I don't know all these parts. This isn't too hard to replace. Is it? I might have seen a video in the past.

Thanks again, guys.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK. Thanks again for the replies. I am going to do a flush and try GM Synchro FM. I found it on Amazon (USA) for about $11/quart but I'm wondering if there is a place -like in stores- in the US where they sell it for the same price or around it. I'm in canada but I'm close to the border.
When I looked to purchase the GM Sync Mesh FM it was best priced on Amazon and only dealerships carried it at about double the cost. Some parts stores can get it from the dealership at a discounted price but not lower than an online price, again in my experience.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Hondaman4ever you can tag people like this to generate notifications =) Shift bushings are pretty easy, just need a 12mm socket, maybe a monkey wrench.

If you search around online, you'll mostly just find the big rubber bushings that go on the very ends of the linkage to hold it in place, but it's also a good idea to inspect the "RR Joint" pieces and replace if necessary. They're part numbers #23, 5, and 4 on this illustration.

Hondaman4ever

Thank you guys again for the replies and the info. I appreciate it.
ctag, I'm not sure I understand the " you can tag people like this....". Anyway, I have a monkey wrench and other wrenches and I have a socket set but does the car have to be lifted high? Is it enough if I have something like jack stands (height)? It looks like this job needs good clearance.
Yeah I saw the rubber bushings (on Ebay) a while back. Would these bushings (the red or black ones) be part #16 in the illustration ? I'm sure it's easy to locate once I'm underneath the car. Right?

Yeah it looks like Amazon is the cheapest place to buy GM Synchro. I'll order it there.

Thanks.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The '@' character, then start typing a username and you should see an autocomplete box. If you do that, the user gets a special notification that lets them know you're talking to them =)

Yes part #16, usually in a kit that comes with part #14 as well. Replacing those two can firm up the shift linkage feel, but they usually aren't responsible for being able to wiggle the shifter left and right while in gear, that's the RR joint going bad.

Jack stand height is fine, just as long as you can slide under the car. The linkage isn't hidden, it should be plainly visible.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Torco is also a great alternative to GM. Have used both and cant tell the difference between them.. but it shifted better than the Honda MTF thats for sure.