Manual Transmission Fliud

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys im getting ready to replace my axles and tranny fluid...i know that youre supposed to only use hondas MT fluid but the nearest dealership to me is about an hour away....i remember hearing about a different brand that could be used but i forget the name of it, anybody know what im talking about and where to get it?

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
I used 10w 30 motor oil in mine cuz I didn't feel like going to the dealership if all else fails do that

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Penzzoil Syncromesh. You can buy it at any auto store.

RonJ

Banned
My 2-cent recommendation would be to find some Honda MTF, but here's what your Owner's Manual says:

isubliminall

5+ Year Member
maybe try and get it shipped, or drive the hour and buy extra bottles...sometimes road trips are fun

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i usually use honda MTF, but yeah penzoil sychromesh works and so does motor oil.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
GM Synchromesh FTW!

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My 2-cent recommendation would be to find some Honda MTF, but here's what your Owner's Manual says:

that's what they say, but if your using all-data it also says that its only for temp use and not really recommended, Honda MTF is the best way to go, otherwise use a synchromesh tranny oil

RonJ

Banned
Honda MTF is the best way to go, otherwise use a synchromesh tranny oil
I completely agree with the idea that Honda MTF is the best way to go.

that's what they say, but if your using all-data it also says that its only for temp use and not really recommended,
The diagram that I posted earlier was taken directly from the (5th generation) 1992 Civic owner's manual, which matches the OP's car. The corresponding diagram for my 6th generation Civic is posted below. The information there, however, agrees with what you say, so possibly there is a difference in the MTF requirements between 5th and 6th generation transmissions or Honda changed their mind about what is best for these transmissions.