Manual transmission problem PLEASE HELP

Edward Need

I have a 91 civic hatchback

My problem is when I start the car I can't shift it into 1st gear I have to force it and sometimes just doesn't want to go in. Shifting into 2nd feels the same way. 3rd not to bad but grinds a bit as it goes in. 4th is good.

I have tried adjusting the clutch cable and found that the link where the clutch cable connects to is really hard to move and does not have tension to go back in place.

I need to know what to do this is supposed to be my daily driver and I can barely drive it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My problem is when I start the car I can't shift it into 1st gear I have to force it and sometimes just doesn't want to go in. Shifting into 2nd feels the same way. 3rd not to bad but grinds a bit as it goes in. 4th is good.

I have tried adjusting the clutch cable and found that the link where the clutch cable connects to is really hard to move and does not have tension to go back in place.
STOP forcing it into gear, you're going to break it and make it worse and more expensive to fix potentially.
If you noticed the linkage is hard to move, why not lube it up to get it freed up first.
But this could also be more of an issue with the transmission or clutch.
This is called troubleshooting, research, start with the cheapest and easiest answers then move on up the list, this being the first thing I would look at.

Edward Need

Okay so the only time I forced it when I was in the middle of the road green light coming in and it didn't want to go in actually started in 2nd and got going then.

When I have the car off and I can put it in every single gear with ease like any manual transmission. But only with the engine off.

So the linkage on the shifter to the trans is fine. Has a brand new short throw shifter bushings and I did lube up everything on the shifter linkage.

I am going more towards the clutch cable or maybe something internal. Will be picking up a new clutch cable from the auto parts store and installing that. And hitting the link with some lubricant that the clutch cable sits on that connects to the transmission which seemed really hard to move. When I was trying to adjust the clutch cable which has no more adjustment after messing with it

dancam

Registered VIP
So the linkage on the shifter to the trans is fine. Has a brand new short throw shifter bushings and I did lube up everything on the shifter linkage.
try putting the old bushings back in? New ones may be too tight or a little off on their sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward Need

I would if there was a bushing left in the old ones they where metal on metal. The car has 295k miles I bought it with this issue thinking it was the shift linkage that's perfect now and has a new clutch I am thinking when I push the clutch pedal down its not engaging which is not allowing me to put it in 1st gear with the car running. Trying to diagnose this issue but I have never dealt with a cable type manual transmission

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you inspected the slave master cylinder? That could cause your issues and its a cheap and easy fix.