matinece required light

97turbo

5+ Year Member
i have a 97 ex thats just recently rebuilt and boosted, the motor has about 1200mi on it so far and the matinece required light came on yesterday, it has no problems while running or driving. what could it be?

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
run it with an obd reader. tell us what codes you get

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're talking about the little green / yellow / red indicator at the bottom of the cluster, you can just use your key, push in the button, and it resets to green. It's just a friendly reminder to do maintenance every (I think) 7000 miles.

If you actually have a Check Engine Light (CEL), then do like projekt said and get a code reader and check what code(s) you are throwing. I hear you can get it done free at Advanced Auto Parts.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're talking about the little green / yellow / red indicator at the bottom of the cluster, you can just use your key, push in the button, and it resets to green. It's just a friendly reminder to do maintenance every (I think) 7000 miles.

If you actually have a Check Engine Light (CEL), then do like projekt said and get a code reader and check what code(s) you are throwing. I hear you can get it done free at Advanced Auto Parts.
good catch man. yeah advance or autozone will do it for free

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its just a reminder for oil change...
jesus

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its just a reminder for oil change...
jesus
x2

change your oil, check/rotate your tires, check your brakes, etc etc etc

mine is currently on yellow, haha... but I changed my oil about a month ago, I just haven't reset the stupid thing yet

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I leave my maintenance reminder red, cause it matches my Si gauges :D

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow...some posts in this thread reek of failness. :smackself:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Maintenance Required = This flips over based purely on mileage. It will continue to do this as long as the cluster continues to count miles. This is a reminder for you to do routine maintenance on your vehicle.

= This light (called a Check Engine Light or CEL) comes on when there is a problem with your car. Every time you turn the car on this light should also come on for about a second and then turn off. If you have this light on in your car and your car is 1996+ (or some 1994 or 1995 vehicles or otherwise is known to be OBDII) then you can use a hand held scan tool to read the code(s). Autozone does this for free, as do some other businesses. You can also pick up a scan tool for as cheap as $40.

If you have a CEL you can also get a GENERIC code by jumping the two pin connector next to the ECU. Jump it with w paperclip and turn the ignition to ON. Now watch the CEL flash. Long flashes refer to the first digit and short flashes refer to the second digit. For example, two long flashes followed by three short flashes would mean code 23.