matt96ex's Project: CX Hatchback

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got lucky and found a 1996 Honda Civic CX hatchback shell on Craigslist last week. Called about it Wednesday, went and picked it up Saturday with a couple buddys. The people I bought it from were going to use it as a race car but decided against it. So since it was going to be a race car, they completely stripped the interior and even removed all the sound deadening material. There's just a small amount left by the pedals.

Goodies on it include a complete Integra rear end with disc brakes, stock sway bar along with stainless braided brake lines and set of Energy Suspension trailing arm bushings. Also was surprised to find a lower tie bar underneith and figured it would be a crappy eBay one, but its made by Tanabe Sustec! Has a few other small dumb things like a AEM fuel filter and carbon fiber gauge pod thing, junk drilled rotors in the front. Front end was hit before so a 99-00 front end is kinda fitted on it. Its missing a few things like door panels, cluster, and front seats. Also needs headlights and taillights and a spoiler and other small things.

Took about 80 pictures today. Got what I wanted done today so I'm happy. Got all the interior pieces cleaned, inside of the car picked up and vacuumed out and washed the outside of it. Came out pretty nice. All the pictures I took of it cleaned up didn't come out with the nice camera but I got a few from my cell phone. I'll take another set after work tomorrow with the good camera.

Also, since about July I've been collecting parts for a turbo D16Y8 build I'm going to do over winter. I'll post pics and a list of what I have tomorrow.

So whats the goal for this you ask? Make this thing look like it rolled off the showroom floor with a few clean additions here and there and a turbo D16Y8. But well see what happens...

On to the pictures...

kinda cleaned up now

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
very niceeeeeeeee

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not bad man

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cant wait to see the progress

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome score. cant wait to see your build thread. keep us updated.

Tek-C

Powered By USAF!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice find and at a great price. Perfect for a project car. GL with it!!!

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol thanks guys. i know it looks like hell now but im determined. i got nothing but time for this.

got the random engine harness, headlight harness out also. tried getting the driver side mount out cause i need a good one for my coupe and the nut that's welded on inside the frame broke so that's gonna be fun getting out.
also took out the antenna cause it was broke.
sucks cause i get out of work at 5 and it gets dark at like 7 now. ghey.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
man, ever since ive got my hatch, i know how bad youve wanted one...i remember the times you were so excited in the past thinking it was gonna happen!! but im super excited you found one bro, and for such a good price. your pretty much going through the same thing i did back in janurary. i wish you the best of luck, and i hope you project turns out a success!

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
600 with no motor? seems like a lil pricey for me....i bought my car with a dohc zc swap for 800

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man, ever since ive got my hatch, i know how bad youve wanted one...i remember the times you were so excited in the past thinking it was gonna happen!! but im super excited you found one bro, and for such a good price. your pretty much going through the same thing i did back in janurary. i wish you the best of luck, and i hope you project turns out a success!
haha i know man! i didnt think id find one so soon! thanks again! well see how it ends up its gonna take time.

600 with no motor? seems like a lil pricey for me....i bought my car with a dohc zc swap for 800
yea ive thought that too but i look at what the cars already got. its got a nice integra rear end, disc brakes, swaybar, tanabe tie bar, stainless lines, e.s. bushings. that alone i think it worth a few bucks. plus im down to work my ass off on the car, thats why i bought it. i was looking for a project and thats definatly what i got. as for the motor, i got a good deal $80 for a complete D16Y8. so yea might of been a bit too much with no motor. but i got a hell of a deal on the motor and i have a nice rear end which i dont have to buy now.

99SilverCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got a 96 VSM hatch for a project car about 2 months ago as well, haven't had time to work on it though because was swapping D16 stock motor into my current 99 VSM hatch, and putting other stock parts back on my 99, cuz it'll be my new DD.
There are a lot of Ek hatches being rebuilt right now... lol
There's 2 96-98 VSM builds on here, mine will be the 3rd lol

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
looks good!

this is what im working with:
two weeks ago
]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/stichedskater/IMG_0415.jpg
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/2394912 my build if you wanna see it.
thanks! checked out your build and pm'ed

I got a 96 VSM hatch for a project car about 2 months ago as well, haven't had time to work on it though because was swapping D16 stock motor into my current 99 VSM hatch, and putting other stock parts back on my 99, cuz it'll be my new DD.
There are a lot of Ek hatches being rebuilt right now... lol
There's 2 96-98 VSM builds on here, mine will be the 3rd lol
haha nice! i wish i got mine 2 months ago! it gets dark out too soon now. good luck with your stuff!

Looks like a good project car
it defiantly is! thanks!

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
10/11 UPDATE! Grab a drink... :lol:
Did a few small things on the hatch yesterday since it was super nice out. Removed the rear bumper to inspect the rear end better and I noticed this before but there should be a rear bumper beam on these correct? Its hard to see but where would it mount up to? It doesn't look like anything was cut off, so I don't know? I was pissed about the rear bumper cause its in really good shape but since the exhaust was half-assed, the exhaust was pushed up against it and the paint is all discolored, cracked and melted. Damn it! Removed the exhaust which was kind of a pain because the axle back was basically welded to the mid pipe. I had to cut off the crappy exhaust hangers from the muffler. Wish i took a pic of these, they were hidious! The exhaust is 2.5 in from the front to the axle back and the mid section surprisingly looks like it might be a HKS or Apexi. Compared the resonator to the one on my HKS on my coupe and they look identical. The color/ shape of the piping looks similar too. Idk random thought I guess.

Also figured out the wire mystery. I had two bunches of wire under the dash kinda tucked up by the fuse box. Found out one set ran up the A-pillar to the dome light, the other set was cut and rerouted around behind the dash and were the passenger door speaker wires and e-brake light switch thing, which originally are routed across the middle. So I'm relieved I found out what those were. I only have two more issues with the wiring. One, there is no wire going to the passenger door switch. According to the service manual at work, its supposed to route along the backside kind of with the wires for the fuel pump, etc. Not seeing anything besides this thicker light green wires, which is the second thing I'm not sure about. Check out the pics.

Finally, over the past week I've found a few things I'm kind of upset about. First thing is the whole SRS system was removed. I think the airbag is still in the steering wheel along with those set of wires, but as for the passenger side airbag and the control unit under the center of the dash is gone. Oh well I guess... Password C/F block off and Personal steering wheel anyone? =)
Also found there used to be a hole at the bottom of the spare tire well. Looks like it might of rotted through and someone either welded a small random piece of metal to it and siliconed the area surrounding it.

Was way too tired last night to post the pics so here they are.
up on the jack stands

perfect bumped f**ked up

interior work

see the light green/red wire? what is that for?

underneith

horrible pic of the tie bar

another pic of the underside. see the blobs of rust above the sway bar? yea thats where the hole is. ghey.

rear bumper beam, where?

quality exhaust..

sweet muffler

possibly a hks or apexi mid pipe?

ebay coilovers...my favorite.

ill need some advice on the front end soon.

quick pic of the coupe. going into winter mode here soon. :(

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice progress man. If you are looking for some better coilovers I have a set of Buddy Club N+ Specs FS. Clean EJ Coupe as well.