caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2K3 MSP said:
I just asked a simple question...
well,theres a list of members times,but its in VIP,
but i can tell you,theres plenty of 14 runs..............

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whoa.. whered all these mazdas come from? haha.. you guys just kinda popped outta nowhere.. haha.. blah I know nothing about mazda, I know a girl with a mazdaspeed protege, lets just say its faster than my crx..

JITB

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How many of these 14 sec runs are without swaps? to me it looks like the p5 had ithe hatch by a headlight, or either that or they were tied, hard to tell. So who won? weres the racer? Hard to tell tho....Mazda drivers travel in packs...lol

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Looks like the Protege pulled barely at the last momonet......but I was seriously disappointed at the Mazdaspeed models....they are not fast at all...

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

0-60----------------- 6.90sec
1/8 mile--------------10.13 s @ 72.78 mph
1/4 mile--------------15.56 s @ 90.59 mph

2000 Honda Civic SI

0-60-----------------7.22sec
1/8th mile-----------10.28 s @ 70.6 mph
1/4 mile-------------15.84 s @ 88.49 mph

Click here for side by side comparison from Car-Videos.com

zc vtec

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2K3 MSP said:
Not trying to start a flamewar...But what are you guys running in the 1/4 mile? i've seen a few comments knocking the Protege's and I'm wondering if you guys just have't had any run in's with some real competition.
If you go over to msprotege.com, you'd see there are many Mazdaspeeds running consistent 13 and 14 second passes.
I run anywhere from 14.4 to a 14.6 depending on how I launch it on a measly 5 pounds of boost. MPH ranges from 95 to 97.
Next summer the car will get 10 psi, so we'll see how it does then.

Last edited:

JITB

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its obvious that the MSP isnt built for speed, but it was built as a all around and to excel in handleing like most mazdas do. And it did it has turbocharged power with some of the best handleing in a fwd car. No doubt the 99-00S Si's were also some of the best power per liter cars ever made..1.6 puttin out 160hp thats great. Wer not here to argue he just asked what some of the times of the people who questioned a "fast protege". Im just curious to see how many boosted hatches run 14's with their stock motor and no internal work..swaps are the easy way out.. :lol:

98_4door

Sexy Cabana Boy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool vid. i need to get my hands on a camcorder and make some clips of my own

zc vtec

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2K3 MSP said:
I just asked a simple question...
Ya no worries. I wasn't trashing the Mazda, I was just really surprised that it was a pretty much dead even race with the Civic. He must be running low boost on it. WIth some stronger internals(if they even make any for it) that car could be pretty damn fast.
I love Mazdas actually. I spent time as a Mazda Canada Car Show Rep and they're very easy cars to sell, especially the 04's with the new 3's and the 6's. Watch out for the new MazdaSpeed 6 in the next year or so. For a while I was supposed to keep my trap shut about it but Car and Driver already leaked it. It's gonna have a turbo 4 with AWD and 250 hp. Torque should be up around 280 but I don't think these specs have been finalized by Mazda.

LinuxRacr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To shed some light on some of the available mods for the Protege, here is my list:

2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
Engine Mods:
B.E.G.I. Turbo System !!
[Pauter Forged Rods] [JE Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [MPI Tuner Piggyback (Customized Perfect Power SMT-6)] [ Two 2nd Gen RX-7 S5 460cc injectors] [J&S 2-channel Ultra Safeguard] [TechEdge v. 1.5 Wideband O2 Sensor] [JIC-Magic 505 Sus Exhaust System (with Magnaflow 2.5 inch resonator)] [Spec SZ943H Hybrid Stage III Clutch Kit] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Sparkco Ignition Wires] [FM Sequential Bypass Valve] [B.E.G.I. Off-Road Downpipe] [Pierburg In-line Fuel Pump] [AWR Motor Mounts] [AWR High Performance Radiator (3501)] [Joe P. Manual Boost Controller] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ]
My New FMIC:

Reallynicecivic

Trance = Reallynicecivic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would know much about the MSP Protege'. One of my best friends has one.

And I have the civic.

I believe his car fast just out the box. The car rated #3 in a car magazine ( I believe Sport Compact ) for Top five best buys under $25,000.

Also Turbo Mag. did afew articles in there magizine about the MSP. I'm just saying I have A LOT of respect for the Mazdaspeed Protege' and for those who wanna " dis " the car ... I think you should take the time to actually look up the vehicle or even www.protege5.com and do the research. As for my friend , he respects my civic just as much in return. And that's just how it is.

As

Last edited:

LinuxRacr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I understand that a lot of folks don't now much about the Protege's. I know that if I had been a Honda or DSM guy, I would not think Protege and Fast belong in the same sentance. The truth of the matter is for a sum of money, any car can be made to go fast, but my point is that the aftermarket has finally opened for the Mazda Protege (right when Mazda is doing away with them). Here is one company that makes turbo kits for us running their P5 at the track: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78352&highlight=12.5

Reallynicecivic

Trance = Reallynicecivic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LinuxRacr said:
I understand that a lot of folks don't now much about the Protege's. I know that if I had been a Honda or DSM guy, I would not think Protege and Fast belong in the same sentance. The truth of the matter is for a sum of money, any car can be made to go fast, but my point is that the aftermarket has finally opened for the Mazda Protege (right when Mazda is doing away with them). Here is one company that makes turbo kits for us running their P5 at the track: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78352&highlight=12.5
My point that I'm trying to make is that as a member of the Honda/Acura family , I will not disrespect or even attempt to say anything negitive about Mazda and there vehicles. Even tho this thread was created by someone else within this civic family , I just hope people from both can atleast come to a common understand between both vehicles. Protege' and Civic. ( in my case )

Yes I understand there will always be rivalry and whatever... but as long as you know that you have atleast one people who does respect your make/models , then I guess thats all that matters. 8)

LinuxRacr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's cool man! Rather than talk s**t, I just put out facts. I feel the exact same way you do. It is ignorant and idiotic to talk s**t about what you don't understand. Who is your friend on the Protege forums?

Discreetspeed is a guy on our forums who ran a lot of supposedly faster cars on stock internals, and higher boost in his Mazdaspeed: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/search.php?searchid=630571

Check out some of the threads. They have videos and all.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

LinuxRacr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nd4sped said:
Well this thread seemed to atract another Mazda owner...hence post count of 3.
I just am very dissappointed about thier performance considering I was owning them at the track. Stock vs. stock.
Yeah, we kinda felt the same at 1st. Then again a lot of factory cars have had the trend to detune a car from the factory. The biggest problem with the MSP's was that there was too much fuel being dumped in under boost. Once engine management solutions, and boost controlers were strapped to them, then that trend started to go away. Protege's have the engines for speed (the rods are the weak link, but the block is iron, closed-decked with a forged crank, and a main bearing support plate that prevents crank walk).

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
LinuxRacr said:
Yeah, we kinda felt the same at 1st. Then again a lot of factory cars have had the trend to detune a car from the factory. The biggest problem with the MSP's was that there was too much fuel being dumped in under boost. Once engine management solutions, and boost controlers were strapped to them, then that trend started to go away. Protege's have the engines for speed (the rods are the weak link, but the block is iron, closed-decked with a forged crank, and a main bearing support plate that prevents crank walk).
Iron block = coolenss.