megasquirt

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just wondering if anyone is using it, and what they think about it.
i plan on running it in my CRX

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i knew a guy with an old BMW that was boosted... he ran Megasquirt.

that was 3 years ago. his car ran great, and it was pretty fast (12's im pretty sure). thats about all i can say about it.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i plan on running it on my ZC motor with the ford EDIS ignition system, witch is coil pack, no distributor.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i plan on running it on my ZC motor with the ford EDIS ignition system, witch is coil pack, no distributor.
he ran coil packs as well. hell, he built his Megasquirt board and did all the wiring and everything himself too.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah the build it your self unit is about $250.
thats what i will be doing.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, where can I get this? Also, if you can give me more info on the coil packs please?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from what i remember the interface was a little hard to understand and to use, but im sure that in the past 3 years they have that all fixed.

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In my opinion it seems more of a hassle than what it is worth. I have built two boards and messed around with it on cars that were converted from carb to fuel injection. But it should work well for you if you want to go through with it.

msefi.com has a lot of stuff

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In my opinion it seems more of a hassle than what it is worth
i pretty much feel the same way. sure, if you are converting to fuel injection, or your vehicle doesnt have any reasonably priced fuel management options, then it would be a good idea. but why not just stick with a management that is actually designed for Honda motors instead of something rather generic? there are so many cheap fuel management options that work excellent for Hondas, i would think for efficiency sake, picking MS just to be different doesnt make a whole lot of sense

malichite

5+ Year Member
Hello, I am new to the board. I was browsing the internet and ran accros this thread. The picture of the ZC with the distributorless ignition is mine. I have to say, to those that say it is to much hassel, I would have to disagree. I had mine up and running in one weekend. My friend Abaddon has done a lot of work on making it almost a plug and play process. Switching to the EDIS ignition was one more day worth of work. I also have a turbo Del Sol running chrome and I have to say, I like the Megasquirt much better. Just my .02 Anyways, excellent site.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello, I am new to the board. I was browsing the internet and ran accros this thread. The picture of the ZC with the distributorless ignition is mine. I have to say, to those that say it is to much hassel, I would have to disagree. I had mine up and running in one weekend. My friend Abaddon has done a lot of work on making it almost a plug and play process. Switching to the EDIS ignition was one more day worth of work. I also have a turbo Del Sol running chrome and I have to say, I like the Megasquirt much better. Just my .02 Anyways, excellent site.
that is definatly a good post.

what makes the dizzy-less ignition so much better?

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not going to disagree or say that your opinion isnt valid, but 2 days worth of work to run a simple turbo management? what benefits does it have over Crome, Hondata, ECtune, etc? i had mine up and running in a matter of 20minutes with a full obd1 conversion and making a basemap to start the car.

id just like to know what makes it better

malichite

5+ Year Member
The way my ignition is set up it gets its crank timing well, from the crank. This allows for the timing to be much more solid. In a stock honda setup, you will notice that the timing bounces around a little bit. This is due to it getting it's timing signal from the opposite end of the crank which is not the most acurate being that it has to go threw the timing belt which will cause it to jump around alittle. This is also a very redible ignition source at any junk yard that also has the ability to go 10,000 plus RPM and multisparks at idle up to 3k rpm giving it a much better idle. 3rd, the EDIS controller handles the advance and not the ECU taking off some of the processing overhead from the ECU allowing it to focus on other things.

As far as why it is better. I think in the long run, it is a little cheaper then chrome if you tend to change things a lot like I do. Sure, Chrome is free, but if you want RTP, you need to get Chrome Pro $150, Ostritch $100. We are now at the price of the megasquirt. Now, what about traction control... not launch control, traction control. Megasquirt gives you the option to monitor rear and front wheel speeds, and when they are different it will retard the timing until they are the same. Along with traction control, boost control, nitrous contorl... The list goes on. I have not done real time with chrome yet, but it is my impretion that you have to do a run, burn the change to the ostritch. do it again... With MS, when you make the change, it is live then, no reburning. You can make changes and watch the effect in real time.

Dont get me wrong, I dont have any issues with chrome. I currently run it in my boosted del sol, but I just prefer the MS.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now, what about traction control... not launch control, traction control. Megasquirt gives you the option to monitor rear and front wheel speeds, and when they are different it will retard the timing until they are the same. Along with traction control, boost control, nitrous contorl... The list goes on. I have not done real time with chrome yet, but it is my impretion that you have to do a run, burn the change to the ostritch. do it again... With MS, when you make the change, it is live then, no reburning. You can make changes and watch the effect in real time.
how does MS monitor rear wheel speed? there are no factory sensors on Hondas that allow that to be done...

as for tuning on the fly, Crome does that, and does it well. i tuned the other day for about 2 hours and never had to shut the car off, let alone even slow down.

malichite

5+ Year Member
The rear wheel speed would have to be fabricated. Most people use ABS trigger wheels and VR sensors. That will take some modification. As far as why I use MS. Well, I just like it. I am not here to be a spokesman for MS, and I do not have a whole lot of experience with chrome. It is just something different. Did I mention I was running Ford EDIS crank triggered ignition??? :shock: Now that I know you can't do with chrome.

If you dont mind me quoteing your sig

Dont be so closed minded. The beaten path isnt always the best one.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you dont mind me quoteing your sig

Dont be so closed minded. The beaten path isnt always the best one.
like i said, im not trying to say that your reasoning is wrong or invalid...

im not being closed minded, in fact im being the EXACT opposite. trying to learn the benefits of another program is an entirely different story than shutting it out alltogether. im just trying to find out the benefits of the program vs what is available for Honda ecus today. and being "different" isnt enough of a reason for me to choose a generic ems over one that was designed based upon factory fuel/ignition maps

as for quoting my sig, show me how the "beaten path" ISNT the best one in this case

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope, crome is a just a rom editor, mega squirt is 100% standalone
crome dosent support EDIS

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EDIS is just an ignition setup. you can run it on virtually anything. if not, you can run GM ignition modules, as they do spark distribution and dwell internally, only needing the ECU for spark table adjustments (advance, etc). very similar to EDIS.