metal scraping sound

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So after i left my driveway, one minute later I started hearing a metal scraping sound (kinda like dragging a piece of metal across the road) from the driver side. Could it possibly be the brakes? I can't really check right now since it's raining outside, so does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump to get an answer

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not a clue.

...but if it happend as you were applying the brakes it's probably your brakes.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
okay, so i decided to take my car out for another drive and oddly, the sound went away :shock: ...I'm guessing cuz it was wet outside? I checked my brakes and they seemed fine, so i'm not sure what it could be...Oh, and the sound happened while i wasn't applying the brakes, and it didn't go away when i applied the brakes...

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
I had a similar problem, it was the brake pads, it would not make the sound when I put on the brakes, but when I was accelerating it would make the it.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c_diddy said:
okay, so i decided to take my car out for another drive and oddly, the sound went away :shock: ...I'm guessing cuz it was wet outside? I checked my brakes and they seemed fine, so i'm not sure what it could be...Oh, and the sound happened while i wasn't applying the brakes, and it didn't go away when i applied the brakes...
you know i had the same sound last week, and it went away too.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bluedragon said:
I had a similar problem, it was the brake pads, it would not make the sound when I put on the brakes, but when I was accelerating it would make the it.
yep, same thing happened. I had asked my brother and he just told me that it was most likely the brakes or rotors, since they rust so easily.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
you know i had the same sound last week, and it went away too.
did it happen after you washed your car?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c_diddy said:
did it happen after you washed your car?
Nah I don't think so, maybe though, its always wet here anyways. It went away so I'm not gonna worry I guess

B16A2_CIVIC

Think. Feel. Drvie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but why do civic rotors get all rusty so quick when it stops raining always wonder that

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not just Civics, virtually all car's rotors get rusty. Cast iron has heat and hardness properties that make it very good for brake rotors. It also oxidizes very quickly ie: rusts like a b***h. Not to worry. That initial layer of rust slows/stops further oxidization.

Aluminum rotors would score too fast, Carbon Fiber rotors are generally cost prohibitive and last time I checked required a *"frying pan" to keep them at operating temperature.

*what one of the engineers at Yoshimura called the carbon fiber heating discs

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going-West said:
Nah I don't think so, maybe though, its always wet here anyways. It went away so I'm not gonna worry I guess
yeah, i figure the same. I guess i'll just wait till i really need to get them replaced...altough they're pretty rusty. oh well, this is what happens when you dont got cash.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im gonna clean my brakes tomorrow when i paint my calipers