Metal shavings

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok so I'm rebuilding a DOHC ZC and I'm replacing the oil pump and water pump. Well when I took off the oil pan it had a bit of metal shavings in the pan so I looked at the crank curious where they were coming from I found more by the #4 piston. I know this isnt a good sign so I just need to know what needs to be replaced :D

Trekk

Registered VIP
Take it to a mechine shop, have them measure the journals. If they are in spec, you just need new bearings, if its out of spec, you can get it mechined and you'll need an oversized bearing for that journal.
If you want it done best, get a new crank, if you want the next best thing, let the mechine shop measure, clean, polish and order you the parts.

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are my options for a new crank is there aftermarket ones? I'll be boosting this engine in the end so just curious if oem cranks is all there is

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the OEM D16 crankshaft will be fine - lots of boosted ZCs as well as SOHC D-series engines, some making over 400whp, use OEM crankshaft

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i noticed that you are replacing the oil pump - what pump are you putting in? - is the stock ZC pump bad? - the reason i ask is that the ZC pump output is 17.7 gal/min. where the SOHC pump that fits the ZC is only 11.6 gal./min. output - keep the ZC pump if at all possible

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I read somewhere that I could possibly use any d-series crank so would the one I have from a SOHC ZC work better than most?

Just figured I would use a new one cause it looked kinda thick lol. When I got it the rad had muddy water in it so figured I would replace most stuff

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I read somewhere that I could possibly use any d-series crank so would the one I have from a SOHC ZC work better than most?
which crank you can use will depend on the model year of the DOHC ZC - as is true with all D-series engines, the 88 model DOHC ZC crankshaft had a 22mm diameter front snout where the timing belt gear goes on - 89 and up crankshafts (DOHC ZC and all SOHC D-series) had a 24mm diameter front snout - if the DOHC ZC happens to be a 88, you could only use an 88 crank or you would have to try to find a different timing belt gear for the 24mm diameter (not easy to do) - the DOHC ZC timing belt gear for the crank is unique to the DOHC ZC as it is the only D-series engine that uses a 17 tooth gear - if the DOHC ZC is 89 or later, then any 89 or later D-series crank will work

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I pulled the DOHC ZC out of a 92 4door civic made in japan. And I think the SOHC ZC I have is obd-0 cause i had to use the IM off my d15 out of my 95 civic after the d15 blew.

Would it benifit me if I took the good crank out of the SOHC ZC and have it checked/balanced? That would improve performance considering I plan on boosting it and replacing rods/pistions eh

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I pulled the DOHC ZC out of a 92 4door civic made in japan. And I think the SOHC ZC I have is obd-0 cause i had to use the IM off my d15 out of my 95 civic after the d15 blew.

Would it benifit me if I took the good crank out of the SOHC ZC and have it checked/balanced? That would improve performance considering I plan on boosting it and replacing rods/pistions eh
if rthe SOHC ZC crank has the right diameter front snout, i would have it checked out and use it if it is o.k. - all of the 89-95 D16 cranks are the same