milky coolant but all else good?

djacs

5+ Year Member
Found my radiator coolant looked white and milky. I was in the process of a normal oil change. The oil looked completly normal. No signs of white residue in the dipstick or oil filler cap. The exhaust shows no white or blue smoke. No overheating issues. No overflowing into overflow tank. Not really using anti-freeze much.

I replaced the radiator a year or so ago, along with t-sat and hoses. i did not use Honda coolant.

I researched alot and did not come across anyone with similar symptoms so far. Is this likely to be the beginning of evidence of a blown/leaking headgasket?

I did 3 drain/refills with distilled water and refilled with Honda coolant.

Any ideas?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sounds just like a bad head gasket to me. Oil may be seeping into one of the coolant passages in the head but depending on how the gasket looks, coolant may not be able to flow into the oil passage(or a significant/noticable amount) which may be why you don't notice anything wrong with the oil.

Best way to find out is do a leak down test and you'll know exactly what's wrong.

dyce590

True Life:I drive a Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do another oil change and flush the radiator system and refill with coolant. turn on your car and let it idle for about 10-15min. if you see:
oil in your coolant
milky oil on dipstick or oil cap

their is a possibility that the headgasket may be starting to go

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do another oil change and flush the radiator system and refill with coolant. turn on your car and let it idle for about 10-15min. if you see:
oil in your coolant
milky oil on dipstick or oil cap

their is a possibility that the headgasket may be starting to go
That would just be a waste of time and money if he's already done so recently and had similar symptoms. Leak down test would be the best way to determine if something's wrong and it'll clearly tell you what's wrong.

djacs

5+ Year Member
What you said makes sense. Can you tell me how to learn what a leak down test is? Can I do it? Any links or place i can find out how to do it?