Mini Me Swap Help.......

JETullous

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am about to do a Mini Me Swap on a D16Y5 HX engine to a D16Y8 head. Is the bottom end the same as a D16Y8? I dont want to swap if it is weaker. If the same is it possible to strenghten the bottom normally like if I had a D16Y8 engine all around? I have a lot of mods for the D16Y8 engine and need to know if I am wasting my time on the swap or not.

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the pistons are different but the bottom end isn't any weaker. if you want to strengthen the bottom end get new pistons and rods. high compression if your sticking with NA or low compression(9:1) for FI.

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep it will work. im confused tho. you already have a modded y8 engine in there? and you want to swap the bottom ends?

JETullous

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no I have a full D16Y5 engine and was wanting to know if doing a mini me swap with a d16y8 head would be the same as a having a D16Y8 complete engine. But is the bottom end the same on a D16y5 and a D16y8? or different?

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why dont you just save yourself the trouble. its not worth the small gain in power plus you get better gas milage with the vtec-e hx motor.

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just did this last weekend excepy i put a z6 head on the y5 block with an s40(ex) trans. it makes good power for a sohc and was simple to do. my advice is while your doing this just pull the whole motor and replace the timing belt,clutch,pilot and throwout bearings and any other gaskets and seals. a nice set of energy motor mounts is a good idea too. thats my .02

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh and im not sure but i believe the pistons are slightly different